Monday, July 14, 2014

Adventures in Pokemon X, Part 1

A few days ago, I decided to pick up Pokémon X, one of the latest games in the long-running Pokémon franchise.

The first Pokémon I chose was a Fennekin. It was the very first time I chose a Fire-type starter for a Pokémon game. I chose Fennekin because I thought it was cool and I had a clever nickname for him: Eastwood. It's a bit of a pun. Fennekin is a Fire-type Pokémon modeled on foxes, and Clint Eastwood starred in a film in 1982 called Firefox.



One of the first Pokémon I captured was an old classic: a Pidgey. Capturing a Pidgey was a nightmare in this game, mainly because Pidgeys DO NOT come around often.

Not very long after you start the game, you travel through the Santalune Forest. The Forest is an amazing place, where a trainer can catch a variety of Pokémon. They're enough to build an entire team of Pokémon right from the start, and then some. In the forest alone, I was able to capture all three of the elemental monkeys (Grass-type Pansage, Water-type Panpour, and Fire-type Pansear), Pikachu, Caterpie, and Weedle alone. Essentially, the forest is a great place to start building a Pokémon collection, as well as many great choices to build a team around.

To make a long story short, I've been training my Pokémon team for getting ready for the first Gym in X, the Santalune Gym in Santalune City. Thanks to Bulbapedia, I was able to get some info on what I'd be facing in the Gym, so I decided to train up my Pokémon team for the big battle. My goal is to get up to Level 10, and then battle the Gym trainers, and finally, face Viola herself.

With Viola specializing in Bug-type Pokémon, I decided to train up the two Fire-type Pokémon I have in my possession: my Fennekin (Eastwood), and my Pansear (Blazer). Blazer is going to need to really level up, as he learns his first Fire-type move, Incineration, at Level 10. Pansear NEEDS this move, but which of his other moves do I give up, Leer or Play Nice?

One of the fun things I had going on during my grinding was my Zigzagoon, Bandita. She had the ability Pickup, which basically meant that when walking, she would suddenly hold an item at random. I got some free Potions and Antidotes this way, even got a couple Great Balls this way.

I also used the opportunity to add more to my Pokémon collection. One Pokémon available in the area around Santalune City has eluded me so far: Dunsparce. I did encounter one once, but I couldn't catch it, and I haven't encountered another since. It's Pidgey all over again!

Another Pokémon that really annoyed me was Burmy. You see, Burmy evolves into different Pokémon based on the gender: females become Wormadam, and males become Mothim. So I had to capture a female Burmy and a male Burmy. Another problem is that Burmy has only one attack prior to reaching Level 10: Protect. Protect is an annoying attack. And worse, if you manage to paralyze, poison, or put Burmy to sleep, the Shed Skin ability it has allows it to recover almost immediately.

Anyway, I managed to evolve my Metapod into a Butterfree (Bonus, it learned Confusion. This'll be hopefully helpful), as well as evolve my Kakuna into a Beedrill. I also explored a bit of Route 22 and managed to add a Litleo to my collection. Since it's a Fire-type, I now have a THIRD Fire Pokémon in my collection. That's swell, because now I have another little weapon in my arsenal to use against Viola and her Bug-types. Once I train her up, I'll be ready for Viola. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment