Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Spider-Man: Far From Home Trailer, My Thoughts

In 2017, Marvel Studios released its 16th film: Spider-Man: Homecoming. It focused on the young Peter Parker as he dealt with the menace of the Vulture. I gave my thoughts on the movie here. Well, considering the critical and box-office success of the movie, it was a no-brainer that a sequel would be in the works. Well, here's the trailer for said upcoming sequel, the MCU's 23rd film: Spider-Man: Far From Home!



It's nice to see Spidey hailed as a hero. Eat it, Jameson! EAT IT JAMESON.

Aunt May discovering Peter was Spidey was so hilarious in Homecoming, so it's nice to see her supporting her nephew. I imagine that must've been quite the conversation.

Hey, wait? Is that F.E.A.S.T.? That would make sense. Aunt May worked there for a while in the comics. Does that mean Mister Negative could exist in the MCU, too? After all, in the comics, he did use F.E.A.S.T. as a front for his own criminal activities?

Peter's all like, "You better not be flirting with my Aunt, Happy."

Love that the Ramones are being used.

Peter's going to Europe! Hey, maybe he'll meet with the S.H.E. That'd be neat.

BFP on the suitcase. Aww, nod to Uncle Ben. I know some didn't like that his death was shown or mentioned in Homecoming, but I look at it like this. We've seen it before in many other adaptations. It's practically common knowledge by this point. It wasn't needed.

Welcome to Venice, Spidey!

Aww, Peter and MJ.

Yeah, I'm no expert at darts, but I know you're not supposed to throw them at other people's necks.

I get that you're a spy, Nick. But if you know Peter is Spidey, then you should know that Ned knew that as well. Nick does look tired. Like he's really had enough of this mess.

FLYING SPIDEY! Well, gliding Spidey, but great to see the web-wings in action.

Nod to Sandman there.

And the fire monster is likely a nod to the Molten Man.

And there's a nod to Hydro-Man.

I have to admit, I like Spidey's red-and-black suit there. The all-black suit also pays nice homage to Spider-Man Noir.

Oh. My. God. Jake Gyllenhaal's Mysterio suit. IT LOOKS SO GOOD.

THE FISHBOWL! HE HAS THE FISHBOWL ON HIS HEAD! YES!

The epic orchestra remix of the 60s Spider-Man theme is wonderful.

I'm guessing the blonde is Gwen Stacy. Protect Ya Neck, Gwen.

I am so happy for the detail of Flash being a big ol' fanboy over Spidey. Just like in the comics.

I have heard this film was set after the upcoming Avengers: Endgame, and it's led some to complain that it's spoiled that movie. Well, here's the thing. Infinity War and Endgame...are based on the original 1991 Infinity Gauntlet comic storyline. I reviewed the first issue of it here. In both comic and movie, Thanos did wipe out half the universe, including lots of heroes. And at the end of the comic version of the story, they were restored to life. So, based on that, it's not so unreasonable to assume that in Endgame, the heroes Thanos dusted would be restored to life. So yeah, not as big a deal as you'd think.

Basically, I am excited for this movie. As a big Spider-Man fan, I loved Homecoming, and I am so excited for Far From Home! I love the idea of Peter Parker having to stop a villain in an unfamiliar place, and Jake Gyllenhaal's Mysterio looks INCREDIBLE. I cannot wait for this movie!

Thanks for reading! And if you really like what I writer and want to give some extra support, feel free to please drop a tip in my Digital Tip Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment