Sunday, January 13, 2019

Movie Review: Aquaman (2018)

In 2017, the King of the Seven Seas, Aquaman, made his big debut in the film Justice League. I gave my thoughts on it back in November 2017...and there was a lot more I wanted to say, but I couldn't out of a desire to keep my review as spoiler-free as I could. I thought it was an alright film. Could've been better.


But one of my favorite parts of the movie was Jason Momoa was Aquaman. He was the 'fun guy', and I enjoyed him in the movie. Well, his solo film has arrived, helmed by one James Wan...although I think they should have done this before Justice League. But I'd better stay on topic. Did I enjoy Aquaman's solo debut, or did I think that it should be buried in Davy Jones's locker? Let's find out!

Aquaman stars Jason Momoa as the titular character, reprising the role from Justice League. Basically, there's trouble brewin' in Atlantis. His half-brother Orm (Patrick Wilson) is in the mood to kick the surface world's butt, and only Arthur Curry can stop him, by retrieving a sword from the stone, I mean, a trident from the ocean. And he's going to need the help of Mera (Amber Heard, also returning from her cameo in Justice League) to find it.

I loved that this film did subvert certain tropes that we often do see in adventure movies like this. I also thought it was great seeing Amber Heard's Mera actually doing things and being awesome. I admit, I was a bit annoyed with her cameo in Justice League, as I kind of felt it was just there just to basically, for a lack of any better term I can think of, provide some cleavage. But here, Mera is important. And that is awesome.

I also liked the visuals of the movie. They were incredible. Seriously, they are spectacular. Kudos to the effects people working on this movie. They were a joy to see. There was one effect that made me tear up. The final battle was incredible, one of the coolest final battles I had ever seen. It helped that it was underwater, which is something we don't see very often...at least, in my experience as a film watcher.

The film has a strong theme of family and love throughout. In a way, love helped save the world. No spoilers. I thought the performances in the movie were really well-done. I enjoyed seeing Willem Dafoe as Vulko, and it was a surprise seeing Dolph Lundgren in a superhero movie. There was a real tone of them trying to move away from the forced darkness of Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. Zack Snyder was one of the executive producers of this film, but I like to think James Wan and the cast locked him up in a footlocker during the duration of the film's production.

I have heard this film get criticism for it's length. I do agree, I think it felt a bit long, but at the same time, it wasn't bothering me. I did feel the romance between her and Arthur did develop a bit quickly, but it wasn't a big deal for me.

All in all, I really liked Aquaman. It was fun, intense, and very heartwarming in places. Give it a watch. I think the DCEU is finally on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment