Sunday, December 14, 2014

Adventures in Pokemon Y Part 5: Route 4 and Lumiose City

With the Santalune Gym conquered, there really isn't a whole lot to do left in Santalune City. As such, my journey must go on...after picking up some supplies, of course.

When attempting to leave the city to go to Route 4, a girl remarked to me that I was one of the trainers to get a badge from the Professor. Turns out her name is Alexa, and she is the older sister of Viola, the gym leader I beat. She's a journalist. She was very impressed with my victory over her sister, so she gives me this item called the Exp. Share. This could be a useful item in training Pokémon. She also told me that she works at a publishing house in Lumiose City, and if I have a big story for her, I can stop by. That was...interesting. At least I managed to get a useful item out of the exchange.

After getting some supplies, I went to Route 4, aka Parterre Way. The Route is one of the more beautiful routes I have seen. It essentially is a giant garden, with a huge fountain halfway through the route, and several hedge mazes in the corners of the route. It's quite a beautiful sight. The Route also has its fair share of Trainers to battle and wild Pokémon to catch.

During my exploration of the Route, I encountered a Flabebe (I knowit's missing the accents, but have no idea how to type them), and captured it. What was interesting about this little Pokémon was she was of a new type: Fairy. Yup, much like Generation II, which introduced the Dark and Steel types, X and Y have introduced Fairy. I'll have to look up its strengths and weaknesses before I do anything with it. Maybe in the next new games, they will have a Fairy-type-based Gym.

I had also found a Poison Barb. Neat. I'll maybe give to my Butterfree after it gets Poison Powder.

At the end of the Route, I encountered these two people, a man and a woman. They explained to me that Flabebe, one of the Pokémon I got, was a Fairy-type. The woman is acting bonkers, screaming the new Type turns the entire match-up system on its head. She introduces herself as Sina, who might need to cut down on the caffeine. The man reveals his name is Dexio...yeah. Dexio. That's his name.

...Where do these names come from?

Anyway, they want to show me the way to Professor Sycamore's lab. On the way there, Dexio gives me a TM, Return. He explains that it's a move that works better the more I walk around a Pokémon. That makes sense, actually. You keep a Pokémon in your team for long periods of time, they start to bond with the trainer, and over time, that bond grows. I have heard that friendship has benefits for Pokémon's stats. I'll have to look into that.

I go through a tunnel, and I find myself in Lumiose City. And this place is HUGE. I think it might be even bigger than Castelia City in Black/White. I have heard that this city is modeled on Paris, which makes sense considering the BIG HONKING TOWER in the center of the city, and the fact that Kalos is modeled on France.

I don't know what to make of this place. There's just so much to see and do, and I have no idea what to do next. So for now, I'm just going to follow Sina to the Pokémon Lab. On the way there, I spotted this poodle-like Pokémon walking around. Heh heh, I caught one of those in Pokémon X. I had also overheard this couple talking about the many cafes in town. I did check one out on the way to the Lab, called the Café Introversion, so I'll have to look around to find the rest.

However, exploring the town isn't quite as easy as one thinks. Turns out quite a bit of the city is suffering a blackout. As a result, most of the city is off-limits. I wonder how they lost power. According to Bulbapedia, the Gym Leader here, Clemont, specializes in Electric-type Pokémon, so I'm guessing that he's got something to do with it. Maybe he's the cause. Would be interesting to see a villainous Gym Leader in a Pokémon game.

Anyway, I'd better get to the lab. I wonder what the Professor wants there for me...

Pokémon Obtained:
Garfield (Skitty)
Bebe (Flabebe, Yellow Flower variant)
Rosie (Budew)
Buzz-Off (Combee)
Mothra (Vivillion) - Evolved from Spewpa

No comments:

Post a Comment