Thursday, September 17, 2015

My thoughts on Pokemon GO

Recently, it has been announced that there is a new game coming for iOS and Android devices, and it's a Pokémon game. Yup, after Pokémon Shuffle comes...Pokémon GO.



Pokémon GO is what is called an "augmented reality" game. An augmented reality game is a basically a game that enhances real life images with computer-generated images. Basically, such a game would involve you seeing a real-life image of, say, a grassy field. The game would then provide images of creatures running around on said field.

Based on the trailer, this game emphasizes exploration, encouraging owners of the game to walk around to find Pokémon in the real world.

I actually like this concept, to be honest. It does help you feel like a real Pokémon trainer, travelling around your town and anywhere you carry your tablet or more likely your phone, and finding Pokémon everywhere you go. The game also allows trainers to battle and trade, which further encouraged social interaction. I wonder if it'll allow online battles, too. It MUST have that feature.

I also like that the game is free-to-play. It does have micro-transactions, but it's not a big deal to me, I hardly ever use those features. I hope it has that feature that you get rewards for logging in and playing every day. I like that feature, because it encourages regular playing. Keep playing, and you get something nice.

The game is also going to be sold with a device that essentially works as a Pokémon detector.

It looks like a Pokémaniac's tear after they announce a new game in the series, ha ha. It does raise some questions for me, though. Is it required to play the game? Where is it sold? How much will this thing cost? To me, this little gadget here is the only potential stumbling block to something that seems like a lot of fun, and I would love to give a try to.

No comments:

Post a Comment