Thursday, August 31, 2023

Text Play: Pokémon Xenoverse #20

Hello, and welcome back to the Eldiw region! This is a special occasion! This is entry number twenty in my Text Play of Pokémon Xenoverse!

That's right! The big 2-0. I want to thank everyone who has read and enjoyed these Text Plays. I have had a ton of fun making these things over the last year. It's helped motivate me to keep going through this game. And as usual, I want to warn you, I will be spoiling this game.


I highly recommend you play the game for yourself before reading this Text Play. You can do so here. And now with that out of the way, let's do this!

Last time, we ended up facing an angry X Rapidash thanks to this Cruella DeVil-wannabe named Dahlia. I wonder if that name is a reference to the Black Dahlia. Ah, I can puzzle over that later. We engaged her...and got our butts handed to us. Yeah. Ouch.


If we get knocked out here, we wake up at the Porygon Center we passed by in the last entry. Yeah, I'm going to have to put in quite a bit of work if we're going to have to get past this big ol' obstacle. I had to do something I thought I'd never have to do in this game: consult its wiki. I did look through it in the past (purely out of curiosity), but it was pretty threadbare. Nowadays, it's really grown.

That threadbareness was why I avoided using it until now. I guess more people have been playing this game than I thought. The X Rapidash's wiki entry revealed that it was a Flying-type...well, at least, in its normal form. But in its "Thunderstorm" form, as I like to call it (the wiki calls it the "Storm" form), it also becomes Electric. Which means that we have a problem. 

You see, normally Electric is weak to Ground. But since X Rapidash is also part Flying, Ground-type attacks are useless against it. It never can be easy.

However, there is hope. The Flying-type is weak against Rock. And, it being part-Flying also means that it's potentially vulnerable to Electric-type attacks. A part-Electric Pokemon that is vulnerable to Electric-type attacks. That's irony for you.

It can also be hurt by Ice and Sound-type attacks. Which means, it's time to play every Pokémon trainer's favorite game show: Adjust! Your! Team! 


So, who from my current team stays, and who goes? 

Masgot

I'm going to have to put Masgot on the bench for now. Masgot is a Bug/Fighting-type Pokémon. And X Rapidash is resistant to Bug and Fighting-type attacks. It does know Dig, which is a Ground-type attack. However, since X Rapidash's Thunderstorm Form is part-Flying, it won't be any bit helpful against that angry unicorn.

Phantump

Like Masgot, I'll have to bench Phantump, too. X Rapidash is also resistant to Grass-type attacks. It's a shame. One strategy I like to use in this game is hitting an opposing Pokémon with Phantump's Leech Seed to help constantly wear it down. X Rapidash is fast, and I don't think Phantump will get the chance to give it the Leech Seed treatment before it gets taken to the cleaners. A shame, really.

I mean, thanks to this game, as well as Sun and Moon, I've have grown rather fond of this Pokémon. But sadly, it won't be any help here.  

Pelipper

Yeah, this guy is going to have to be benched, too. Pelipper is Water/Flying, which makes it especially vulnerable to X Rapidash's Electric-type attacks. 

Sandygast

Sandygast is going to have to go, too. It is partially Ground-type, which would allow it to easily handle Electric-type attacks. However, it doesn't know any Rock-type attacks. So, it has to be benched, too. It's a shame, as I've grown rather fond of this little grudge-animated pile of sand. 

I decided to keep Harrowk, as it's Electric/Flying. Might make it more able to withstand X Rapidash's attacks. I also decided to keep Trishout as it's been a real beast on this journey.

Looking through all the Pokémon I have captured over this adventure so far, I have found some options.


 Onix, Bergmite, and Cubchoo may be good choices to fight that X Rapidash. Onix is Rock/Ground, and it knows some Rock-type attacks. I might also bring back Bremand, too. It's Electric/Sound. I did consider bringing in the X Garvantula (It's part-Ice, and it knows Icy Wind), but it's also part-Bug. I also considered Aron. It's Steel/Rock, and it knows Rock Tomb. As well as Roggenrola. After all, it's Rock-type, and it knows Smack Down (a Rock-type move that knocks down Flying-type Pokémon, making them vulnerable to Ground). I would be a good set-up move.

I decided against Roggenrola because of how it reaches its full evolution to Boldore. Shuckle is Bug/Rock. Didn't want to take a chance because of its bug-type. It's also why I decided against using Vroombug. Its attack Rev Up sounds like a handy Sound-type move (60 Damage, 100% accuracy, and the speed increases), but I felt it wasn't worth the risk of bringing in a Bug-type.

Ultimately, I decided to bring in Bremand (the Electric/Sound variant) from Box 1, Bergmite and Onix from Box 2, and Aron from Box 4. And now comes the hard part: the grinding.


While grinding, I discovered something neat. If you battle and defeat Vroombugs, you may get some Spare Parts. What do Spare Parts do? Well...I have no idea. The game's description of them isn't exactly helpful. All the item screen says about them is what they are (a kit of spare parts for racing vehicles), and that a certain Pokémon loves them. Yeah, not really helpful there, guys.

Luckily, the game's wiki came to the rescue. The Spare Parts are basically an evolutionary item, much like the Elemental Stones or the various Upgrades. Man, I have one for Phantump, I've got to use it in the future. I also hope to find an Upgrade for Graveler so I can get a Golem. I like Golems, Golems rule. They're one of my favorite Pokémon. Anyway, Vroombug uses the Spare Parts to evolve into its next form: Skravroom.

Right, right, right. Anyway, I decided to run around the Sunflare Canyon, and battle some wild Pokémon to grind my team up. While there, I encountered this cowgirl named Jessie.

A cowgirl named Jessie. I wonder if this is a Toy Story reference.

1st Pokemon: Rapidash (Lv. 35) - Defeated by Trishout.

We go downwards from her, and there's another cowboy trainer we fight...named Woody.


Okay, this is a deliberate Toy Story reference! He even looks like Woody from the films!

1st Pokemon: Ekans (Lv. 33) - Defeated by Trishout.
2nd Pokemon: Elgyem (Lv. 34) - Defeated by Trishout.

Nearby Woody is an item box.

It contains a Star Piece. You can sell it at a shop if you need some extra cash quickly. Below that is a lake. As you can see, we'd have to cross the lake. However, we don't have the game's equivalent of Surf, so we can't cross the lake yet. But if you remember the last entry, there's a way around, so it's not a major inconvenience. 

And i think that's where we'll stop for this month. I am sorry that not much happened here, but I have a lot of grinding to do, and I did not get as much time to play this game as I had hoped. This was all I could do before reaching my monthly deadline. So, again, I apologize. Hopefully, next time, I'll have my new team up to fighting strength, and ready to whoop Dahlia! Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get your vaccine/booster! See you next time! 

Pokemon Obtained:
(Sunflare Canyon)
- Chikaboo
- Vullaby

No comments:

Post a Comment