Friday, August 15, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Review

Yesterday, I went out to a theater and got to see a film I had been eagerly anticipating for quite some time: The newest Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm Hooked on a Feeling...
In short, I loved it. The film was genuinely fun, with great action and awesome characters. It was a bit silly at times, but that only made it a nice breather after the MCU's last offering, the darker Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The film centers around Peter Jason Quill, the self-proclaimed Star-Lord, an intergalactic thief who finds himself having to join forces with the beautiful and deadly Gamora (Zoe Saldana), the revenge-crazed Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), the good-hearted tree-like Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel), and the angry loudmouthed Rocket Raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper), to take on Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace), who is after a powerful stone that would give him the power to destroy planets for his own monstrous agenda.

One of the best aspects of the film is, in my mind, the soundtrack. I'm a huge fan of old-school pop culture, including music, so the film's soundtrack was right up my alley. It was neat hearing such classic songs like David Bowie's "Moonage Daydream", Rupert Holmes's "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)", and the Runaways' "Cherry Bomb" in a film set deep in space.

As for performances, the most surprising to me was Dave Bautista as Drax. His Drax was surprisingly funny, being a bit of a, as TV Tropes would call it, Cloud Cuckoolander, yet also being a violent maniac obsessed with revenge. He had some surprisingly funny lines. I expected Rocket to be the source of some laughs, and he was, but Drax was funny as well. Chris Pratt's Star-Lord was reminiscent of Han Solo, which I thought was awesome. Zoe Saldana's Gamora was focused, intense, and awesome. Bradley Cooper's Rocket was cynical, angry, and sarcastic, but also hinted at deeper issues. Vin Diesel's Groot was, despite only saying generally "I am Groot", expressive, and amazingly understandable. Lee Pace's Ronan went into ham territory at times, but it only made him more amusing, and really helped show how crazy and monstrous he really was.

The effects and fight scenes were also fun to watch, and the film had lots of fun nods to the mythos of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and the post-credits scene gave a few seconds of glory to a character I never thought would be seen on the big screen.

Do I recommend this film? Oh yeah, I recommend it. I cannot wait for the sequel!



No comments:

Post a Comment