Friday, January 23, 2015

Adventures in Pokemon Y Part 6: Sycamore's Lab

Time to hit Professor Sycamore's lab! Might as well, really, as there's not a lot to do in Lumiose until the blackout is cleared up.







The lab on the inside is actually quite nice. It kind of reminds me of a writing room at a dentist or a hospital, with the couches, and the front desk. All it needs is a magazine rack full of out-of-date magazines and a television playing a news channel. The walls have photos or paintings of various Pokémon on them, including an Audino and I think is a Parasect. Parasect are creepy Pokémon.



Seriously, Parasect are creepy Pokémon. Look at this thing!






\I learned from the receptionist that Sycamore specializes in the study of Pokémon Evolution. Hmm...since X and Y have introduced the concept of Mega Evolution, I'm guessing we may see more of him down the line. A kid there states that Sycamore has taught a lot of people about Pokémon. Well, I'm assuming he taught them about Pokémon Evolution, since that's something that he specializes in.






The second floor of the lab is where the actual research is done. A scientist there gives me some Luxury Balls, special Poké Balls that make Pokémon friendlier. Another scientist mentions Professor Rowan of Sinnoh. This is a nod to Ruby and Sapphire. Appropriate as the next main series games released were Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire. I also noticed that there are also a couple kids in the lab.






Okay...why are children running around in the lab where possibly sensitive research is done? That's just asking for an accident.










Anyway, I come to the third floor. A lady there gives me a TM, False Swipe. It's a useful move for catching Pokémon as it's an attack that reduces a Pokémon's HP to one. Neat. I can use this to make a Pokémon a catching aide. But which one...




When speaking to Sycamore, he explains that he intended to give a Pokémon to a veteran trainer, but then my player character came along. He figured I had potential. That's awful nice. Then, we are joined by Shauna and Serena. Sycamore challenges me to a Pokémon battle.




What Pokémon is he armed with? The original three starter Pokémon from the original Red and Blue: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. I was wondering why those three, but then I realized something: The 20th Anniversary of the release of Red and Blue is coming up, and this may have been potential foreshadowing of a future game that returns to Kanto. Maybe another remake of Red and Blue? Or something like Pokémon Black 2 and White 2? Who knows?




Anyway, I was able to dispatch them with my own starters: Fennekin, Chespin, and Froakie. At the end of the battle (it was an easy one, unsurprising that Sycamore admits he's not very tough), he lets me take one with him. Feeling nostalgic, I picked the Bulbasaur.

He also gives me a Mega Stone called Venusaurite. Trevor and Tierno also show up, where the heck have they been? Sycamore then gives your standard Pokémon speech about acceptance, having fun with your Pokémon, all that.




Upon returning to the reception area, I see someone with hair like a red-headed Wolverine talking to the purple-haired female assistant, and she introduces me to him. Turns out his name is Lysandre. He seeks to bring people and Pokémon together to create a better world? Why do I get the feeling he may be the villain of this piece?





Anyway, Serena says she wants to meet me at Café Soleil, one of the cafes here. I wonder what it is
she wants to talk about?


Pokémon Obtained:
Deanna (Ralts)
Florzilla (Bulbasaur)

No comments:

Post a Comment