Friday, February 27, 2015

Super Smash Bros. For 3DS, My thoughts

Shortly before Christmas last year, I got my paws on the newest installment of the Super Smash Bros. series, Super Smash Bros. For 3DS, or as I like to call it, Smash 4.

I've been a big fan of the Super Smash Bros. series since it first came out on the Nintendo 64 so many years ago. It was a fun game to rent. Super Smash Bros. Melee was one of my favorite games for the Nintendo GameCube. I remember one night, I at down to play it, and when I stopped, I realized it was 4 AM. Yup, it was that addicting. When I got a Wii, I also got Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which I enjoyed playing a lot.

When I got a Nintendo 2DS, I knew I had to get my hands on the newest installment in the franchise, which was going to make its debut on handhelds. I loved the idea of playing Smash on the go, so I bought it.

This game is so much fun to play. One of my favorite mini-games is the Smash Run. Five minutes to power up your chosen fighter in various stats in a massive labyrinth, and then a challenge, usually a fight or a race. It's really fun to play, as you encounter enemy mooks from various games, like the Mario series, Sonic, Kirby, Metroid, and even an enemy from Dig Dug.

Another feature I think is awesome is the ability to customize fighters. Using various items, you can alter the speed, defense, and attack levels of fighters, and save them in a set of slots. It has encouraged me to use characters I normally don't like using. Normally, I like to use the all-arounder Mario or the speedier characters like Sonic and Fox. With this feature, I've tried out other characters, and now the tank Bowser is one of my favorites. I also like Lucina (unlocking her was easy, beating her to win her was a NIGHTMARE).

My only complaints are really quite minor, actually. One is the load time. It's longer than I expected, but it wasn't that big a deal. I didn't mind waiting. The other is, I wish they could've gotten back Solid Snake for this game. Hideo Kojima wanted Snake in Brawl, how hard would it have been to call him and ask him if he will let Nintendo and Namco put Snake in this new one? Ah well, Mewtwo is going to be DLC, maybe Snake will too, one day.

All in all, I highly recommend this game. If you like Smash, and want to play it on the go, get this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment