Friday, September 30, 2022

Text Play: Pokémon Xenoverse #9

Hello, and welcome back to the Eldiw Region! This is the ninth entry in my Text Play of Pokemon Xenoverse!


Now, before we begin, as is tradition, I'd like to warn you that I will be spoiling this game.


So, I would recommend you download the game and play it for yourself before reading this thing. You can do so right here. Now with that out of the way, let's go!


Last time, we got the fishing rod we needed to perform the second trial. So, let's get on with that, shall we?


The second trial sees us standing on a dock in what looks like an artificial pond.


Lurch here's attempt to explain the trial is interrupted by Vanilla throwing a tantrum over the tumbling jester nearby. She's not too fond of his dance. Everyone's a critic. This trial requires you to basically play the mini-game from Stellato Town again. You have to fish for an item at the bottom of the lake. The thing is, the lake has lots of Pokemon called Honchen. And they can be vicious little creatures.

Just like in the Stellato Town version of the fishing mini-game, you don't just have to dodge Honchen, you also have to dodge rocks and seaweed as well. If you can get your sinker to the bottom of the pond, you win a Golden Spoon. It doesn't really do anything, it's just a nice little conversation piece. And with that, the second trial is complete. 


That was...not bad. I caught the spoon on my second try. To me, the trial didn't seem that challenging. Just need a bit of thinking...and a bit of luck wouldn't hurt, either. I can imagine you have infinite attempts. This trail really wasn't that difficult. You'd think such a gym challenge would be. Maybe in-universe, it's adjustable based on the challenger's experience? 


Anyway, we should get ready for the third trial: The Trial of Grass. After that, we battle Vanilla herself.

During my preparation for the third trial, I decided to give fishing in a lake nearby the entrance of Milkiway City a try. Considering Stellato Town and the Trial of Water, I think the mini-game is evidently how fishing is handled in this game. And I've grown to like the game, as you can get treasure if your rod's sinker makes it to the bottom of the lake. Yup, the little thing that sinks downward? That's a sinker. And now you've learned something new.

So far, I got a Dive Ball (a Pokeball that's more effective when you want to catch Pokémon that live underwater), a Shell Bell (a held item that restores a little HP every turn), and another Damp Rock (an item that lengthens the effects of Rain Dance). Fishing in this game can be a bit addictive. You want to find what Pokémon are in the water, as well as what treasures you can find on the bottom. I had to remind myself to get back to grinding.


Right, right, right. After doing some grinding, I was ready to tackle the third trial: The Trial of Grass. And I think that's where we'll stop for now. I do apologize for this entry being rather short, but I didn't get to have a lot of time to play this game this month. And I still have quite a bit of grinding to do before I take on the third trial! Wish me luck! 

Pokemon Obtained:
(Milkiway City)
- Swirlix
- Arbok (evolved from Ekans)

No comments:

Post a Comment