Friday, January 20, 2023

Front Mission 1st Remake Trailer, My Thoughts

Back in 1995, Square (now one-half of Square-Enix) published the G-Craft-developed game called Front Mission for the Super Famicom, the Japanese counterpart to the Super Nintendo. The game was a tactical RPG set in the year 2090. In the game, you play as Royd Clive, a mech pilot fighting in a war over a fictional island called Huffman Island.

The game would be a big hit in its native Japan, selling over half a million copies. It was also a critical success. The game would be ported to the WonderSwan Color and the PlayStation as Front Mission 1st. The PlayStation port would next be ported to the Nintendo DS, which was the first time the game came to North America. Officially, of course. This port would be remade for the Switch. Let's look at the trailer! 


Ooh, mech fighting. I like mech fighting. 

I also like base building. I play those games all the time on my tablet.


Karen: Okay, I'm here. *looks around* Why couldn't they have let me paint my mech to blend in?! I stick out like a sore thumb out here!

I get the feeling Royd Clive was supposed to be Lloyd Clive, but game translation being what it was in the 1990s, it ended up being Royd, and it stuck.


Huh. Don't get me wrong, I do think the option of playing the original version the way it was back in 1995 is a neat option. But why not have the aesthetics of the original version with the improvements of the remake? I mean, the Classic mode looks really neat.

"So, I blew up a helicopter today. How are you doing?" 

Ooh, sound test. Yay for sound tests!

I admit, tactical RPGs are...not traditionally my cup of tea, but this has mechs, so I'm willing to give this game a try. Hopefully, Square-Enix will give the rest of the series the same treatment. 

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get your vaccine/booster! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment