Thursday, April 13, 2023

Blue Beetle Trailer, My Thoughts

The DC Cinematic Universe marches on! This universe has had its share of bright points (Shazam!, Wonder Woman, Aquaman) and very dark points (Batman v Superman). With the ascension of James Gunn and Peter Safran as the new heads of DC Studios, it's been announced a reboot is in the works. But there's still a couple of last pieces of business that the old DCEU needs to take care of. One of them is the live-action cinematic debut of the Blue Beetle. 

This film will focus on the newest incarnation of the Beetle: Jaime Reyes. First appearing in a cameo in Infinite Crisis #3 (February 2006), Reyes is an El Paso-born teenager that bonded with the scarab that originally belonged to his predecessors Dan Garrett and Ted Kord. Unlike with Kord or Garrett, the scarab created a special alien armor that grants Jaime various powers. In the comics, Reyes would end up becoming involved with Ted Kord's former allies in the JLI. 

The character has appeared before in other media. He's appeared in various cartoons and in video games. This film is his first live-action cinematic appearance, where he will by portrayed by Xolo Mariduena. Let's look at the trailer!



Jaime Reyes is a kid who lives big.

...oh, never mind.

Welcome to Palmera City! I can imagine that this will be Jaime's Metropolis. Although I wonder why they didn't just have him in El Paso, Texas? I mean, he is from there in the comics, and the movie was partially filmed there.


I like the idea of Jaime going to work for Kord Industries. I personally always felt that Ted Kord would have fit perfectly in the mentor role for him.

From what I understand, Jenny Kord is Ted's daughter here. At least, that's what I got when I looked this film up. 

Jaime's transformation reminds me of Venom.

"I am an alien probe and you have bonded with me. WE'RE BUDDIES NOW."
"...aaaaaaah, nertz."


Those bus riders are going to have an interesting story to tell.

Wait, was that the Reach?!

Susan Sarandon is playing Victoria Kord, Jenny's mother. I think it can be presumed that She was Ted's wife and she's after the Scarab because she believes it should only be used by the Kord family.

THE BUG! TED KORD'S BUG!



Scarab: "I can make any weapon you want."
Jaime: "Gimme a Buster Sword, please."

I do like that the film will establish that Dan Garrett and Ted Kord existed and held the mantle of Blue Beetle in the past. If there's something that the DCEU was sorely lacking, in my opinion, it's a feeling of having a history of superheroes, a feeling there has been legacies. Heck, I've long said that the second Wonder Woman movie should have been about her forming and leading the Justice Society of America.

I'm not one of those guys who will grumble about changes when it comes to adaptations. Adaptations by nature have to make changes, and the reasons for that can be varied. However, I do think it's sad that we don't get to see Brenda or Paco in this film. They're friends of Jaime's from the first series. But still, I think this will be a fun film. thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get your vaccine/booster! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment