Friday, July 19, 2019

Super Smash Bros. Heroic Encounter DLC Trailer, My Thoughts

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the latest entry in the Smash Bros. franchise, can boast one of the biggest rosters in fighting games. Every character that has ever appeared in a Smash Bros. game returned for this game, including third-party characters like Cloud from Final Fantasy and Ryu from Street Fighter. The game boasts a roster numbering nearly 80 characters. And that was before it was announced more fighters would come thanks to DLC.

The first DLC character that was revealed was Joker from Persona 5, announced at the 2018 Game Awards. But since then, Nintendo has revealed at E3 2019 two more DLC characters, the first we'll look at here. This one made me smile, as this guy is representing a series that I felt Smash should have been able to give a shout-out to earlier, as his series was considered the first major console RPG series. Let's see who it is!


Boy, Sauron has some ugly relatives.

Link's a bit outnumbered, huh? He's fighting Meta Knight and Chrom, I think. And I also think Sauron's Ugly Brother over there has something to do with that.

Luckily, help is on the way! I hope...

Link's going to get wrecked!

BOOM!

Here comes the theme song! I know this theme!

Say hello to the Hero, everyone! He's also known as "The Luminary". He's the playable character in Dragon Quest XI, which is coming to the Switch later this year. Yup, the Dragon Quest series is coming to Smash! About time! I love the Dragon Quest series, so I was so happy it's getting representation in Smash! The series is considered incredibly important, as it's considered the very first console RPG series. Yeah. It was massively influential. Pokémon, Final Fantasy, likely they would have never existed if it weren't for Dragon Quest.

I love the stage. I'm guessing it's a reference to Dragon Quest XI, as that's the latest game in the series, and the Luminary is from that game.

The Luminary is going to be so much fun to play as!

Look out, slimes!

Looks like the Luminary is going to need some help.

We're also getting the heroes of Dragon Quest IV and VIII, too! Awesome! I'm betting they'll be alternate "colors" for the Luminary. I have the remake of IV for the DS and the remake of VIII for the 3DS. They're great games.

...Oh...my...God...ERDRICK! ERDRICK! ERDRICK OF THE FIRST THREE DRAGON QUEST GAMES! THIS IS SO COOL!

Oh, neat! They can use the magic spells from the games!

I love the Final Smash! The Heroes channel the power from the heroes of the other seven mainline Dragon Quest games. I recognize VI, VII, IX, and II. I'm guessing the other ones are from I and V.

About time, I say. It is about freakin' time. I know this was much more widely received in Japan, but the Dragon Quest games do have a following here in the West. I'm one of those fans. Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan. I am not kidding. It is HUGE over there. They have a BAR in Japan based on the games. A BAR. I am not kidding, it is real. It's also got a ballet, and there was even an urban legend that the Japanese government passed a law banning Square Enix from releasing Dragon Quest games on weekdays because so many people left work or school to buy the new game when it came out. It wouldn't be until Dragon Quest VIII was released in 2005 that the West would truly embrace the series. VIII was also the first game in the series released in Europe.

I am so excited for this. I have been a fan of the Dragon Quest series for years, and Smash Bros. is my favorite fighting game. So seeing them together? This is incredible! I am so happy! This is great! This is so great!

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, spread it around! And if you want to give this blog some additional support...I'm looking into that. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment