Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Thunderbolts* Teaser Trailer, My Thoughts

The Mighty Marvel Cinematic Universe marches on! In June 2022, it was announced by Marvel Studios that a film focused on a group of villains-turned-heroes called Thunderbolts was in the works. The 36th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Jake Schrier will be sitting in the director's chair for this film while Eric Pearson, Lee Sung Jin, and Joanna Calo are the writers. 

Like many projects in the works in Hollywood at the time, the labor disputes of 2023 did cause some production delays. This film is intended to be the final film of Phase Five. This film is naturally an ensemble film. Florence Pugh, Olga Kurylenko, David Harbour will be reprising their roles of Yelena Belova, Taskmaster, and Red Guardian from Black Widow (and Hawkeye in Pugh's case), Hannah John-Kamen is returning as Ghost from Ant-Man and the Wasp, Sebastian Stan and Wyatt Russell are returning as Bucky Barnes and John Walker from Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus will be returning as Contessa Val Fontaine from Black Widow, Wakanda Forever, and Falcon and Winter Soldier. The cast will also include Lewis Pullman as Bob Reynolds/The Sentry. 

Let's look at the trailer!

Man, Alexei has fallen on hard times. 

Did he just try to brush his teeth with dish soap?! 

This makes me wonder, where is Melina? Did she dump him to the curb or something? Would make some sense, as I don't think they were really a couple...

I think Yelena's talk about her feeling like she's unfulfilled and drifting through life is basically going to be one of the main themes of this movie, as well as this particular group of characters. They're looking for a place to belong. A purpose. Something everyone goes through.

"Hi, I'm John Walker, imma shoot you now."

Taskmaster and Ghost!


I wonder if they survived the Dusing in Infinity War? We know Yelena was Dusted, because that was shown in Hawkeye. 

This was a cool bit. That fight ruled. Hope it's in the actual film.

You know, if I had a nickel for every time Lewis Pullman played a man named Bob, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't much, but it is funny that it happened twice.

Yeah, it was a trap. They're all going to die.

They got Loki's scepter on display! 😂 

Oh man, seeing the Sentry in action is going to blow so many minds...

You'd think that with all the bullets wasted by those people presumably trying to blast the Sentry, you'd think they'd realize they're in trouble.

I know that people have made jokes about Bucky's arm being washable in a dishwasher, but I think it's very convenient. I can imagine the internal components have self-cleaning systems. Makes sense a robot arm would be easy to clean.

Good thing you got a bunch of people who can handle messy with you here, Yelena. 

I think we got a tease of Sentry's costume...


Fontaine's statement about the world only having bad guys and worse guys is something I think will touch another potential theme of the movie. Redemption is a theme of the Thunderbolts, and I think will be speaking out against Val Fontaine's mentality. Yes, there are bad guys, but there still are good guys, even if they stumble along the way. 

That looks like Tony Stark's old bar. I'm thinking the government bought Stark Tower after he died in Endgame. It could also explain why the films' title has an asterisk in it. "Thunderbolts" may not be this team's actual name.

That flash of a smile is a "I'm going to punch you in the mouth" one day expression.

Oh my god, I laughed so hard when Walker screamed "WHAT HAPPENED TO BULLETPROOF?!"

I get the trailer is giving the idea that Bucky is attacking some of our leads, but I think it's a bit of trick editing. Look at the back window behind Walker. I think that shot isn't of Bucky attacking the 'Bolts, I think he's trying to save them from someone else. And it's really cool he's using the mine gun from Winter Soldier. 

I am excited for this movie! As with all MCU projects, I was willing to give it a fair shot. But seeing this trailer has convince me I have to see this. I am guessing there is more than meets the eye to Fontaine's clear plans for our resident group of anti-heroes. I can't wait to see it unfold. I think this film will ensure Phase Five ends with a bang! Thanks for reading this blog entry! Take care of yourselves and each other! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment