Sunday, September 8, 2024

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake Release Date Trailer, My Thoughts

Back in 1988, a role-playing game came into the world: Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation. Developed by Chunsoft and published by Enix, the game was originally released for the Famicom in Japan. It was the third game in the massively popular Dragon Quest RPG series. The game would be released for the NES as Dragon Warrior III in March 1992 in North America. 

A prequel to the previous two games in the series, Dragon Quest III has you play as the young hero who will eventually be known as "Erdrick". Erdrick's father Ortega attempted to fight an archfiend called Baramos who is threatening to conquer the kingdom of Aliahan. This game was the first in the series where you got to have a party of adventurers. You also had a degree of customization in the form of choosing a class for your party members (Warrior, Thief, Priest, etc). 

The game would sell a million copies in Japan within a day of release, and three million copies within a week. It led to an urban legend that the Japanese Diet (the country's ruling body) banned releases of Dragon Quest games on weekdays due to many kids playing hooky to get the game. This is untrue. Where there was some truancy, the policy to only release Dragon Quest games on weekends was a policy enacted by Enix of their own accord. The game would also be given much critical acclaim in its home country. 

Like many old games, Dragon Quest III would get its fair share of re-releases and remakes. It would be remade for the Super Famicom (the Japanese Super Nintendo) in 1996. The game would also get released for the Game Boy Color, Android and iOS phones, and the Nintendo Switch in North America. Japan got exclusive re-releases for the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation 4. But now, the world is getting another remake, this one in the vein of Octopath Traveler. Let's look at the trailer!

The time is nigh...to play video games!

I think the remake looks really neat, but there is something the feels...off about it. It's beautiful, but the best way I can describe the "off" feeling I get is that I feel like the playable character sprites seem to not fit with the backgrounds and world, if you get what I mean.

I would be a bit nervous walking under those big swords. If they fall, you may lose something important.

I think it would be so funny if each of that dragon's five heads had a different favorite food.

"Whaddaya want?! I was sleeping!"

Oh, they're doing this for the first two games as well?! Alright!

One feature I do hope this game includes is from the Final Fantasy remasters. In those games, there were options to adjust how much gil (money) and EXP you got after you won a battle. I loved that feature (made it real easy to save up money to upgrade my party's equipment and keep them in healing items and also made grinding less of a chore), and I hope it's included here. 

Well, I think I'll let this gif express my feelings on this. 

Yup, I am very excited about this. I am a big Dragon Quest fan, and funny enough, I recently started playing the original version of III on my Switch. Hopefully, I'll get through it in...a month. Still, I want to play this new version, and I want to get the remakes of the first two games, too. Thanks for reading this blog entry! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment