Monday, October 13, 2014

Adventures in Pokemon Y Part 2: Santalune Forest

So here I am in Santalune Forest. It's a big ol' forest. I kinda wish that my Zigzagoon, Rocket, had the Pickup ability because he could pick up plenty of free potions and Poké Balls.

I'm not going to traverse through this big ol' forest alone, though. Shauna is going to be joining me on my trek through the forest. She is real handy. The girl is a living Pokémon Center, healing your Pokémon up for you when you need to. How does she do that? Does she magically conjure up Potions and Ethers or something? Is she a witch? Ah, it doesn't matter, she's going to be handy exploring this forest. Can I have her with me throughout the whole game?

While I'm here, I might as well take a shot at training some of my Pokémon, and prepare them for the first Gym. During my training, I'm adding on to my collection. One of the Pokémon you can encounter in the Forest is Pikachu. A neat little detail the game designers put in is when you encounter Pikachu, his cry is not the standard-style Pokémon cry. It's the speech Pikachu does from the anime series. I thought that was a really nice touch the game designers did. Kudos to them.

One thing I do like about the Santalune Forest is that there is a wide variety of Pokémon to catch here. Bug, Flying, Electric, Fire, Water, Grass, it's really diverse. You could build a diverse beginner team out of Pokémon here alone.

A ways into the forest, I encounter my new friends. Serena just rushes off, saying something about beginning training. Nice to see you too, pal. -_-(). Trevor remarks that he has observations to perform. Okay... To be honest, I don't get Trevor's purpose at this point. At least with Shauna, she heals my Pokémon here in the Forest, and Serena is probably going to be in the role of the traditional rival in these games. Tierno says he was challenged to a battle, and he and the youngster he's battling are just standing there, staring at each other. Okay...

Anyway, after further traveling, I got to battle a couple trainers for the first time. One tried to fight me with a Pikachu, but my Scatterbug Mothra easily dispatched it. Speaking of Scatterbug, the other Trainer there had one, but fell in one blast of Ember thanks to Vulcan, my Fennekin. His Fletchling also fell to Rocket.

I also encountered Serena again, who gave me a Poké Ball. Hey, you can never have too many of those. I also noticed that Tierno had finished his stare-off, I mean battle, and he's found in a grassy area, looking for Pokémon to dance with. To be honest, I find the image of him dancing with the Elemental Monkeys hilarious.

The Santalune Forest is a wonderful little place. Has a couple trainers so you can get some money, a diverse array of Pokémon to add to the collection, and you can get your Trainer some exercise with all the running around. The amount of wild Pokémon running around also means that your Pokémon team will get some much-needed experience. Not to mention that with Shauna by your side, you can keep your Pokémon in fighting shape.

As much as Santalune Forest is beautiful, it's time to leave the forest and hit the next town. Besides, towns have Pokémon Centers, which have PCs. I need one to make some adjustments to my team.

Upon leaving, Serena runs up and says I'm the first to arrive. Well duh, you were just standing in a grass patch when I was running around grabbing items and training my Pokémon! She does tell me I have potential, which is awful nice of her. Tierno and Trevor catch up, Tierno remarking how much he loves seeing Pokémon move and he's hoping his dancing has that much spirit. Yeah. Good luck to you on that, buddy. Trevor admonishes Tierno for this, make me like him more. Anyway, Shauna expresses her excitement on going to Santalune City.

Upon leaving the forest, Serena asks what the group's plans are. Trevor says he's out to complete the Pokedex. Tierno wants to observe how different Pokémon move, so to improve his dancing. Okay. Serena plans to take on the Gym Leader there. She gives me a book of tips called "Adventure Rules", for all the rookie Trainers out there. Serena says she's going to spend some time getting to know her Chespin. I hope she trains it well. She asks me what I'm going to do.

What am I going to do? Go to Santalune, kick some Gym Leader butt, and then keep it up until I become Champion! ...But first, I gotta get through Route 3...where I got nearly ran over by a rollerblader! HEY!

Pokémon Obtained:
Panpour (Kappa)
Pansear (Bunsen)
Metapod (Kojima) - Evolved from Caterpie
Pansage (Shrub)
Pikachu (Amperage)
Weedle (Stingerette)

No comments:

Post a Comment