Sunday, October 19, 2014

My Thoughts on Ghostbusters 3

Well, it has been confirmed. Ghostbusters 3 is coming. Now, not much has been revealed about the new film, whether it's going to be a sequel or a reboot of the franchise. As such, I don't have a whole lot to say about it.



To be honest, I'm hoping that the new film is a continuation of the series rather than a reboot. To me, a reboot is something that to me the Ghostbusters franchise does not really need. It's a franchise that really doesn't need rejuvenation like the Star Trek franchise did. Not to mention that recent attempts at reboots and remakes, like Robocop, didn't exactly work out very well.


Another thing that has seemed to cause a lot of anger for some reason as far as I understand is that the new Ghostbusters will all be female. I don't really see a problem with this myself. It's not like we haven't seen women wear the proton packs before. In The Real Ghostbusters, Janine Melnitz herself donned the proton pack herself. In the sequel cartoon Extreme Ghostbusters, one of the "next generation" 'Busters was a Goth teen named Kylie Griffin, who is also now appearing in the IDW comics. The game Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime (a game I enjoyed personally) had a female Ghostbuster named Bridget Gibbons. There are a lot of genuinely great funny women out there, so I can see an all-female team working out on film. I would be genuinely disappointed if Tina Fey wasn't in this movie, though. She'd be a great Egon-type.


I would love to see the third film have more of a "passing-the-torch" theme to it, which a continuation would allow. Ray Stantz and Winston Zeddemore (Since Murray won't get involved, I'll say that he's not available, and since Harold Ramis is sadly no longer with us, I'll have to say that Egon is also deceased), realize that age is catching up to them, and decide to recruit a new team of Ghostbusters to do the actual legwork. However, only four applicants show up: four women with their own quirks and wacky personalities. You can get the humor from the surviving Original 'Busters training the rookies, and after one big epic adventure saving the city once again, Ray and Winston hang up the proton packs for good, letting the ladies be the defenders of New York against the supernatural.


Yup, that's how I'd do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment