Friday, November 6, 2015

New Star Trek series is coming!

I love Star Trek. Ever since I was a kid, I was a Trekkie. I watched the Next Generation as a kid with my dad, loved Deep Space Nine, watched Voyager, but never really caught Enterprise.

However, the main expression of my fandom was the movies. I loved the original Star Trek movies with the original cast, especially Wrath of Khan. I even bought the novelization when I encountered a copy at a local consignment store. Still haven't gotten around to reading it, though.

Anyway, it had been far too long since Star Trek graced our televisions, literally over ten years. Sure, the older series get reruns, but it has been too long since we've seen new adventures on the small screen.

In 2017, that will change. CBS is going to bring Star Trek back to television.


When I first heard this, I was psyched. Yes, the series wouldn't focus on the Enterprise crew, but hey it would be a great way to expand the new Star Trek timeline established by the reboot film. And hey, if the characters and stories were good, people will like it.

However, then came the kick in the head. It was announced that it would exclusively appear on CBS All-Access, CBS's own video-on-demand service.


That made my jaw drop. You're going to launch the series on TV...but you're doing the rest of it on your VOD SERVICE?!

I get it. I do get it. Binge-watching and video-on-demand is the thing. Heck, I have Netflix, and I do watch things on it quite a bit. Been enjoying Daredevil on it lately, actually. But there are still a lot of people watching regular TV. Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to broadcast it on TV, and then put it on their own VOD service? Or even put it on one of the bigger VODs like Netflix or Hulu?

Oh, well. Hopefully, as time goes on, we'll learn more about this new series and its characters. All I can say about it right now is that I am happy it's coming back to the small screen...in some form.

No comments:

Post a Comment