Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Pokemon Sun and Moon Starter Trailer, My Thoughts.

Back in February, it was announced that a new pair of Pokémon games were coming, Sun and Moon. I gave my thoughts on the announcement here.

I've heard a lot of rumors and a lot of speculation about the new game, from its setting to its starters. Well, the starter rumors can be put to rest, because The Pokémon Company has released a trailer which gives us a look at the official Starter Pokémon for the new games.


I was pleasantly surprised to see this when I got up this morning, and I just HAD to take a look. And I ended up learning quite a bit more about the new games than I expected, which is nice.

According to the trailer, Sun and Moon will take place in the Alola region. I have heard rumors that the games' region will be modeled on Hawaii, and it seems to be that way, Alola being similar to "Aloha". The music in the trailer does take on a Hawaiian/Polynesian vibe at times and we do see palm trees and Hawaiian/Polynesian design elements in various areas. I like the general look of the game. It's bright and colorful, although one could say that about the majority of Pokémon games.

The first starter introduced is Rowlet, a Grass/Flying type that is modeled on an owl. I think he could be easily considered the cutest of the starters. He's an almost perfectly round little owl with big ol' eyes, and it's really cool his intro animation has him turn his head around like a real owl does. That's a nice little touch.

The second one is called Litten, and it's a Fire type...and it's a KITTY! As someone who is a proud cat lover, I am happy that a Pokémon game has a starter that is a kitty. This one is my choice. Litten is a cute little Pokémon too, nice balance of black and red with big yellow eyes. I have seen comments on YouTube speculating that Litten will evolve into a panther-like Pokémon  and possibly even get the Dark type as well. I hope so. Never used a Dark type in my teams before, and I'd love to have a panther on my Pokémon team.

The third and final starter is Popplio, a Water-type that is modeled on a seal. Hey, Seel and Dewgong have a cousin! I don't know why, but Popplio's design strikes me as a bit odd compared to the other two starters. I honestly get the ruff on its neck and the big pink nose, a nod to performing seals and the famous "seal balancing a ball on its nose" thing. I don't hate the design, it just seems...odd compared to the other two. Still, he's a neat little starter, and his intro animation made me chuckle.

The trailer also shows us a little more of the Alola region, and it's astounding. We see paths with what look like Tiki heads, a city, and lots of paths. You can tell that the makers of the game wanted to create their own version of Hawaii for the Pokémon universe. I honestly hope that the player character encounters a NPC modeled after Jack Lord in Hawaii Five-O.

We got a cool little bonus as well in this trailer. We got to see what may be the Legendary Pokémon of these games. One is a big white lion, and the other is a big black bat. I have to admit, they look awesome! Maybe we'll learn more about them in another trailer. And they'll be front and center on the games' box art, which makes sense. Legendaries tend to take on the role of box art models these days.

I really cannot wait for this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment