Saturday, February 27, 2016

Pokemon Sun and Moon, My Thoughts

2016 is the 20th Anniversary of the Pokémon franchise, and Game Freak and Nintendo have done a big celebration, mainly in the form of releasing the original Red, Blue, and Yellow on the 3DS Virtual Console service. Thanks to the 3DS's Wi-Fi abilities, trading among those versions is still possible.

They also released two brand new Pokémon games due out at in the Holiday season this year: Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.


I have to admit, this does pique my interest as a long-time fan of the Pokémon series, although I still have to grab Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby. Another cool feature they announced is that if you have the Pokémon Bank app, You can bring Pokémon from X, Y, Alpha Sapphire, Omega Ruby, and from Red, Blue, and Yellow from the Virtual Console to use in Sun and Moon. That's neat, although it would be nice if HeartGold and SoulSilver, as well as the Black and White versions, and as their sequels were included. They made an app in Japan for those two, I hope it comes to the US.

They also released a teaser trailer for the upcoming games. And here it is.


I will have to be honest about something, though. As awesome as it is that we are getting two brand-new Pokémon games, I am kind of disappointed we aren't getting new remakes of the original Red and Blue for the 3DS. Revisiting Kanto and being able to do all the things you can do in the latest Pokémon games would've been so awesome.

Not to mention it would've been a great way to introduce the original games to a new generation of fans. As great as it is that the original Red and Blue are available on the Virtual Console, they do have their flaws. I remember Psychic types being way overpowered in those games, and there were very little Bug or Ghost types of Pokémon or attacks to counter them. I remember to beat Sabrina, I have to evolve my Eevee into a Jolteon, and then trained it until it learned Pin Missile. Yeesh.

Anyway, this trailer starts with title screens in various languages. It has been said Sun and Moon will be the first Pokémon games to launch in Chinese. That's pretty neat, although I can't help but wonder how they played it before.

The trailer is really mostly just showing kids and adults playing various Pokémon games on various handhelds, from the original Game Boy to the 3DS. I think it's really neat, as it gives a message of togetherness, showing that the games have brought people all over the world together. A wonderful message, if you ask me.

It then gives a brief timeline of the main series games, and shows the people at Game Freak hard at work. We see brief glimpses of buildings, and even a very brief shot of a computer's screen. It showed a wire-frame model of what could possibly be a new bird-like Pokémon. It isn't much, but it does show they are working on something. It's not much, so I can't really say much about it.

In all, I am excited about Sun and Moon, but I do wish that they also gave us remakes of Red and Blue. Maybe for the 25th Anniversary.





No comments:

Post a Comment