Monday, February 22, 2016

Deadpool and the R-Rating.

Deadpool's movie has come out to stellar reviews and massive box office success. I myself did a review of it here.

It also has a distinction of being one of the few superhero films to be given an "R" rating. With this, and the announcement of the next Wolverine film shooting for an "R" rating, as well as a possible X-Force film going for that as well, it has led me to be somewhat concerned.


Calm down, Deadpool. Now, I am not saying there should never be any R-Rated superhero films. I am just worried that with Deadpool's success, studios will get the wrong idea and want every superhero film to go for the rating. The R rating worked for Deadpool because he is a character that can fit into it. He can be bloody. He can be violent. And he can be crude. That is his character, and an R rating fits for him.

Problem is...such a rating does not fit EVERY character. Punisher, yes. Wolverine, yes. Deadpool, yes. However, let me ask you this...do you want an R-Rated Spider-Man, an R-Rated Captain America, or an R-Rated Squirrel Girl movie?




Yeah, I thought so. Personally, I don't really want that. I don't want every superhero film to shoot for an "R" rating, because...they don't NEED to. Look at the MCU. The films generally get a PG-13 rating, and they still do very well in the box office. As I said, the rating can fit some characters, but it doesn't fit everyone, and I hope the studios keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment