Friday, September 23, 2016

Pokemon Sun and Moon Version-Exclusive Reveal Trailer, My Thoughts

Another day, another Pokémon Sun and Moon reveal trailer! Let's take a look at it!


The first new Pokémon revealed is a Fighting-type called Passimian. Its stance, the makeshift helmet, and the way it holds that...melon? It makes me think of an American football player. The Receiver ability is appropriate for it.

The next Pokémon is a Normal/Psychic-type called Oranguru. I think it may be modeled after a mix of a gorilla and an orangutan. I don't have a lot to say about this particular Pokémon, looks-wise. I think the leaf fan is funny, but I have nothing against it. There's been a history of Pokémon using objects since Farfetch'd's leek and Cubone's bone, and it's nice to see that tradition continue.

Passimian and Oranguru's abilities seem very useful for double battles. I do think Oranguru's, Instruct, is interesting in theory. Basically, Oranguru tells its partner in battle which move to use. Yeah, I can see the good in it, but I worry it'll result in a wasted move, preventing the trainer's ability to do more damage to the opponent's Pokémon.

The trailer next reveals that the Pokémon Rockruff has a rather...unique way of evolving. Turns out it evolves into a different Pokémon based on the version it's in. In Sun, it evolves into the Rock-type Lycanroc's midday form. It looks like a big wolf. And its really cool. In Moon, it becomes Lycanroc's midnight form, which is essentially a werewolf. It's got a really awesome "bring-it-on" stance. It's also rather appropriate that Rockruff's night evolution is based on a werewolf.

I like the music that was used in the background of the Pokémon reveals. It was really funky.

Hey, look at that. The trainer customization is back! And it appears it's a bit deeper than in X and Y, as it not only allows a trainer to change their hair color, but their eye color and hairstyle, too. Nice. You now have more control than ever on how to make your trainer avatar look. Hope there's a nice variety of styles for both genders hair-wise.

The trailer also reveals a new feature called Pokémon Refresh, in which you essentially get to clean up your Pokémon and make them look nice. You can even give them what appear to be special treats. Now I will admit, I'm not one who really uses these kind of extra features, but I will admit, I just may give it a try for this game. I would like it if regularly grooming your Pokémon gave them special bonuses, like improved chances of critical hits or reduced chance of being given a status change like Sleep or Paralysis. Would be a great incentive to get people to use this feature.

The final thing these trailers reveal are that Pikachu and Eevee get special Z-Moves of their own. Pikachu's is called Catasropika. Basically, the trainer throws Pikachu into the air, and Pikachu becomes this electic meteor of death, coming right down on top of its opponents' head. It's pretty awesome.

Eevee's is called Extreme Evoboost. It seems to basically call upon the power of all its evolutions to sharply raise all of its stats. The animation is incredibly impressive, so I can't help but feel a little let down by what the Z-Move actually does. I'm also worried that no new Eeveelutions will be introduced in this Gen. If that's the case, that's a shame. There are quite a few elements that have no Eeveelutions to represent them. Rock, Steel, Dragon, Ground, Ghost, Flying, and Dragon are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I want them to get Eeveelutions. If Eevee is the Evolution Pokémon, then it should be able to have a form for all of the Pokémon Types. Sun and Moon have a chance to give more types some love in the form of more Eeveelutions. I hope we see more of them.

This is a nice little reveal, but as I said last time, I'm worried that Game Freak isn't going to have no surprises left for when Sun and Moon actually come out. I'm also worried that the hype for these two games will be so high that the finished product won't be able to live up to it, no matter how good these games most likely will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment