Thursday, September 1, 2016

Alola Rattata Reveal Trailer, My Thoughts

Man, ANOTHER reveal for Pokémon Sun and Moon! They really ARE churning these out! I don't think we'll have any surprises left for Sun and Moon's release! Anyway, they are revealing another Alola variant: Rattata, who is now Dark/Normal!


I have to admit, I do like the redesign. My favorite detail is that the new Dark-type Rattata appears to have a little moustache. It's kind of cute. If it was more of a Dali or Snidely Whiplash-esque moustache, I can see this little guy twirling it.

It does make me wonder, though. If Rattata in Alola looks like this...what will Raticate look like? I mean, based on the Alola variants of Sandslash and Ninetales, I think we can assume that Raticate will look different from the regular version due to the change in type, but I am curious to see what Alola Raticate will look like.

The trailer then reveals that certain Pokémon will have their own unique Z-Moves. Alola Raichu is one such Pokémon, with the Stoked Sparksurfer. I like the name. Speaking of Alola Raichu, what is Pikachu like in Alola? Is it part-Psychic, too? And do Alola Pikachus need Thunder Stones to evolve into Alola Raichus? That's something I'd like to know.

Anyway, the move looks so cool. Alola Raichu rides its tail, takes to the air, and SLAMS DOWN ON THE OPPONENT AS AN ELECTRIC METEOR. That is AWESOME! That is so cool! I would not be surprised if Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur also get their own unique Z-Moves. Charizard may get two. Why not? Charizard got two Mega Evolutions. Never understood why.

Finally, the reveal shows there's a little pre-order bonus for Sun and Moon. I also heard it's available as a Mystery Gift until next January. You get a Munchlax. But, once you raise it and it evolves into a Snorlax, you are provided a little item called Snorlium Z. I'm guessing this is the item that allows a Pokémon to do a Z-Move. Snorlax's Z-Move is called Pulverizing Pancake.

Now, keep in mind in the Pokémon universe, Snorlax was the heavyweight of Gen 1, standing at nearly 7 feet tall and weighing just over 1,000 pounds. That's half a ton. Now, imagine a Snorlax charging at you with incredible speed like someone made it drink an entire factory's worth of soda, all that Pokémon jumping into the air, and then coming down to sit on you. That's the Pulverizing Pancake. And when you think about it, it is terrifying.

It's a nice reveal, but I do hope they do take it easy with these reveals from now on. I do want to be surprised somewhat from the new games. I do get the reveals are to build up hype, I do understand. But I honestly do hope they keep some things close to the chest until release.

No comments:

Post a Comment