Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Ghost in the Shell Trailer, My Thoughts

Well, it's arrived! A long time after it got announced, The Ghost in the Shell trailer is here!


Casting controversy aside, I have to admit, I have not given a lot of thought to this movie. To be honest, I...I never really saw a point to this film being made. I don't really have a lot of interest in seeing it. And it's not like I don't enjoy anything from this particular franchise.

I have seen some of the original 1995 film, and I did enjoy Stand Alone Complex, so I do have SOME familiarity with the franchise. Anyway, let's take a look at this thing.

The trailer begins with a shot of a geisha. Okay. Then we see a brief shot of Major Motoko Kusanagi and a city. I'm guessing the city is somewhere in Japan, but I notice a tiny detail. There's a red 5-pointed star/flower symbol on one of the buildings, so I'm think maybe it's Hong Kong? I don't know. Now, from what I have heard, Scarlett Johansson's character is simply referred to as "The Major". Okay.

Then there's a dinner, a drink overflows, some guy gets angry at the geisha, the geisha I think goes nuts and attacks the guy, and then there's a bunch of guys appearing and shooting guns. Okay.

Scarlett Johansson's in a tight white bodysuit. She smashes into a building, and slowly jumps in the air shooting some guys. I really want to see a solo Black Widow movie now.

A scientist says that the Major is the first of her kind, and reminds her she's not invulnerable. Okay, so in this movie's universe, is the Major a prototype? Are her cybernetic enhancements experimental? Or is she an actual robot?

The rest of the trailer is rather interesting. There is a scene with the Major and another woman that made me take notice. They appear to share a brief kiss. Now, in the original manga, Major Kusanagi was openly bisexual. I think that would be nice if that was preserved in the movie.

The visuals are...rather trippy. Definitely not something what I expected. I almost expected something more in the vein of film noir. I don't know why.

We do get to see Batou briefly as well. Based on the scenes we see, I'm guessing in this film, we see him get the eye lenses he is known for in this movie as well. I guess he somehow loses his eyes at some point, and gets the robotic ones put in. I wonder what the Tachikomas will look like in this film.

The Major's dialogue in this film makes me consider why Major Kusanagi is only going by "The Major" in this film. I think it can be assumed that the Major may be amnesiac. She may have no idea who she actually is. It would explain why she's only going by "The Major".

The end of the trailer shows what may be the villain of this film. Now he claims that someone "stole" the Major's life, that she may have been made into a cyborg against her will. I did talk about this with a friend of mine who had seen this trailer before. He suggested the idea that the villain may be lying. That would make for a nice twist.

The concern I have for this film is that...well, one of the big things about GitS was that it dealt with themes regarding technology and humanity. When most of your flesh is gone, can you still be considered human? My concern is that this film will overly downplay, if not outright ignore these themes just to make it more of a standard action film.

This is a well-made trailer. It was neat to watch, but I still don't really have much interest in seeing this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment