Saturday, November 12, 2016

Hacksaw Ridge, My Thoughts

Today, I went out and saw a film called Hacksaw Ridge. Directed by Mel Gibson, it's based on the real story of Desmond Doss, the only conscientious objector to get the Medal of Honor during World War II. Doss refused to carry a weapon or kill enemy soldiers due to his Seventy-day Adventist beliefs. Despite his lack of armament, Doss saved 75 wounded men during the Battle of Okinawa.

Doss's story is quite fascinating, so it makes sense that someone would want to tell his story of his heroism in WWII. After many years of attempting to make a film about Doss's story, this film has materialized. How will it stand up?


The first thing I began to notice was that the film was...rather gory in the war scenes. I am rather...of mixed mind about this. I do get the reason for it, it's a war film, showing that War is Hell, I get it. However, a part of me also thinks that maybe it didn't quite need all that gore. I'm mixed on it. I certainly was surprised to see a couple bring a child to this movie in the theater.

Andrew Garfield portrays Doss, and I have to admit, he does come off as a cornfed West Virginia boy. Hugo Weaving portrays Tom Doss, who served in WWI, and the film shows he is haunted by PTSD from it. His performance is haunting and tragic. Teresa Palmer portrays Dolores Schutte, Doss's girlfriend and eventual wife. She is a gorgeous woman, and she was great to watch.

The casting choice that surprised me was Vince Vaughn as Doss's drill sergeant. I never imagined casting Vaughn in that kind of role. He does do a surprisingly good job in the role.

The story basically tells how Doss got to war, got to serve with carrying a weapon, and his time as a medic in Okinawa, focusing on his heroic rescue of wounded soldiers on the top of Hacksaw Ridge. It was extraordinary seeing how he pulled it off.

The end of the film had a clip of the real Desmond Doss talking about his actions at Hacksaw Ridge, and I thought it was wonderful that we got to see the real man who inspired the film.

Hacksaw Ridge was quite an experience to watch. It's a pretty good film, give it a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment