Monday, December 5, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 Trailer, My Thoughts

Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the films I had the most fun watching ever. It wasa fantastic film, and I was giddy when I saw these four words on the screen: The Guardians Will Return. I could not wait for the sequel!

The wait does not look like it will be for much longer. A new trailer has arrived for the sequel: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!


First of all, I have to say, I love the song chosen for this. It's "Fox on the Run" by Sweet. Recorded in 1974 and released in 1975, it's one of Sweet's most well-known songs. It's a good choice for a song here. I think we can assume this was one of the songs on Awesome Mix Vol. 2.

The Guardians are getting ready to fight a monster. Star-Lord faces off against some spaceships, Drax leaps into a monster's mouth, and Rocket is trying to explain a bomb to someone...and the hilarity begins. Oh yeah, this trailer is bringing the funny. He's explaining a bomb to an adorable Baby Groot. And Baby Groot wants to push the shiny red button.

We get some action, Drax is shouty, a bomb goes off, Star-Lord flies the Milano in a space battle, and the trailer gives a moment to the five core Guardians. Drax's moment is hilarious, as he yells "SCREW YOU SPACESHIPS", and hacks at a monster's insides with his knives (I'm betting it's the same monster that he leapt into the mouth of). Rocket's moment shows Baby Groot on his shoulder as he's blasting at something with his guns. I like this. It's a nice subtle callback to the original film's prison scene with Rocket on Groot's shoulder. We also get to see that Baby Groot has his own little red Guardians uniform. He looks so adorable with it.

We get a better look at it in his own moment. It's really funny, seeing a grown man running away screaming from a small screaming charging Groot in his little red uniform. But then it is shown he is quite a powerful little guy, capable of using what I think may be vines to toss a grown man off a catwalk. Baby Groot is not to be messed with.

And then Star-Lord and Rocket fight over well, nobody having any tape. Peter has a point, Rocket. You carry around all your weapons, everyone would expect you to have tape. Then Baby Groot makes off with the bomb. That can only end in good.

The trailer ends with us getting a look at Mantis. I have to admit, she looks really alien, appropriate as she is an alien here. She looks like a mix of her modern and 70s look, which I appreciate. She's also cute. She also appears to have some sort of telepathic/empathic abilities. Mantis in the comics was an empath, and she was also a master martial artist. I hope the film shows that this Mantis can throw down if she needs to. The only complaint I have so far, and it's a minor one, is her speech.

You see, back in the day, Mantis referred to herself as "this one". I would've liked to have heard this Mantis use that tic as well: "This one can sense feelings", that kind of thing. It's a minor complaint, hardly a dealbreaker. She seems to lack tact a bit as she blabs right out that Peter loves Gamora, which Drax finds hilarious. I get the feeling Dave Bautista really loves playing Drax.

This trailer was amazing. It was one of the absolute funniest things I have ever seen. I am serious. This trailer had me rolling with laughter from beginning to end. It was a joy to watch. I can't wait for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment