Thursday, December 15, 2016

Spider-Man Homecoming Trailer, My Thoughts

It's here! It's here at last! After his debut in Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man is going to celebrate...his homecoming. Here's the trailer for the film!


First of all, I have to say, I love the title from a meta perspective. Spider-Man has come back home to Marvel. It works in that way. Hopefully, the title will be in relation to the film itself.

The trailer begins with a group of bank robbers pulling a heist. And well, Spidey shows. Well, he just stands there and asks what's up. He throws some banter at the Avenger-masked bank robbers, then beats them up. The Thor mask makes me chuckle, as it's clearly a nod to the comics, and Thor in the MCU is usually shown not wearing a helmet, like the Ultimate Marvel incarnation of the character. A silver helmet is briefly worn by Thor in the first Thor movie, but it's only about a second.

We next cut to Peter in high school. He is talking to his friend, a rather large Asian kid. Now, I have heard some people suggest he may be the MCU's Ganke, who is a friend of the Miles Morales Spider-Man because Ganke is a fat Asian kid in the comics. Me, though, I doubt it. I think he may be a version of Kenny "Kong" McFarlane, a character from the Ultimate Spider-Man series. He appeared in the Spectacular Spider-Man series as a Korean-American named Kenny Kong.

They're staring at a young lady who I think may be Liz Allen. She's pretty. And in a funny moment, they get called losers by another girl. That's funny.

We next see Peter conversing with Tony Stark. Some have complained about Stark being in the movie, but I think it dos make sense, considering their interaction in Captain America: Civil War. It's pretty clear that Tony is playing mentor for Spider-Man here. My favorite bit is where he hugs Peter, but is claiming to just open the car door for him. It's a sweet moment.

Tony narrates while Peter is doing various things, and we get a glimpse of who might be the main villain of the film: The Vulture. And my GOD, he looks cool. I LOVE the helmet, especially. It looks like a fighter pilot's helmet, and I think it works. Makes sense that the Vulture would need something like that for flying around. I also like the fur around the collar. It's something that's the great strength of MCU designs. They do keep reality in mind, but make every effort to be accurate to the comics. And Michael Keaton is MENACING, man. I do like they picked the Vulture for the villain here. He was the first villain Spidey fought in the comics, and he's not Spidey's ultimate arch-nemesis. They can save the Green Goblin for a future film. They don't need to bring him in or even Norman Osborn right away. I don't mind his name being dropped, but I'd save him for a sequel.

 I think we do get some idea of what Peter will go through in this film based on the dialogue. I think we're going to show Peter struggling under Tony's mentorship. Tony wants to keep Peter from going in over his head, but Peter is anxious to show what he can do. Really shows how Tony has grown and matures from the first Iron Man film, and again, builds on the relationship they established in Captain America: Civil War.

The end of the trailer gives us a brief glimpse of something awesome: Spider-Man and Iron Man heading somewhere in full costume together. Whether they're teaming up to fight Vulture, or just going somewhere for the fun of it, I have no idea. But it's cool.

As someone who loves Spider-Man, I LOVED this trailer. It got me really excited for this movie, ha ha! I can't wait to see how the mythos of Spider-Man is brought in to the MCU.

No comments:

Post a Comment