Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct, My Thoughts

Back in February, I gave my thoughts on the upcoming sequel to Super Mario Maker. I loved the original game, and I was so thrilled that there was a sequel coming to the Switch. What more would be added? New features? New worlds? New enemies to place and items to use? Well, this Nintendo Direct dedicated to Super Mario Maker 2 should answer that question! Let's take a look!


Hey, Builder Mario! And Builder Luigi, too!

You'd be surprised how much fun it is to just place blocks wherever you want.

Heh heh, line of Goombas. It's funny that a Goomba can support six or seven of his comrades on top of him, but is easily squished by Mario or Luigi. Maybe they're actually just very light?

This reminds me, I gotta get back to work on that level I started designing who knows how long ago.

Oh, that would suck if you desperately needed a power-up, but ended up getting a Chain Chomp. ...Somebody's going to do that to be cruel, aren't they?

One of the things I loved about this game is the fact you can do some outright insane stuff, like have Chin Chomps pop out of pipes, or have Goombas carry Bullet Bill launchers.

Take that, Thwomps. Heh heh.

Oh, you can create slopes now? Neat! Sliding around in Super Mario World was always fun.

Oh, no! The Angry Sun?! These people are crazy! I can imagine this guy was a source of great torment to many a Mario 3 player. And now they can inflict it on a new generation of Mario fans! Fun!

I played Mario World, I remember snake blocks. I had no idea they were unavailable in the original. Ah well, nice to see them here. I'm guessing the blue ones were icy blocks.

On/Off Switches would make for some nice possibilities if you want to create sneakier levels that require a bit of smarts to play through.

Seesaws are going to raise a lot of blood pressures.

Heh, Swinging arms. Neat.

I like the Custom Scrolling feature. Gives more control over where the player has to go to avoid death.

The Vertical Sub-Area feature reminds me of the vertical levels of the American Mario 2. I wish stuff from that game could be used, like the vegetables and enemies. Maybe in DLC?

HOLY CRUD BANZAI BILL!

I'm surprised the Dry Bones Shell has never been a legit Mario Power-Up.

Big Coins and new sound effects are neat.

Hey, you and a friend can make levels together! Awesome!

I like the ability to create clear conditions. Allows a bit of shaking up to the gameplay. Oh, you don't just have to get through the level, you have to do THIS as well! Ups the challenge.

I like that this game has added more items to use. And Red Yoshis, huh? Are Blue and Yellow ones also available?

Boom Boom! Absolute Madlad!

Wait, this game has a STORY MODE?! Cool! And you have to rebuild Princess Peach's castle. Appropriate for a game about building. And I'm guessing Bowser wrecked it again.

Nice variety of new themes. And a night Mode for them, neat! I like the idea of the Moon contrasting with the Sun by being helpful.

I hope those extra surprises can be shut off.

Hey, new game style! I loved Mario 3D World! But I wish you could use the cat suit in other game themes. Maybe in an update.

I wish you could use these enemies and items from 3D World in other game styles. They'd be awesome in a Mario World style.

Wow. I'll have to get Switch Online, then.

Nothing like a little multiplayer madness!

Well, I am quite impressed. I am very impressed with what this sequel has to offer. Super Mario Maker was an incredibly fun level design game, so it's nice to see that Nintendo went clearly above and beyond to give a sequel that would build (pun semi-intended) on it. There are some minor things that bother me, though. As I said, I wish you could use elements from 3D World in other game styles, and there was elements from the American Mario 2, but those can be fixed with updates. I can't wait for this game! Thankfully, that wait won't be long!

Also, I am so happy to announce that this blog is my 700th entry!


Yes, 700 entries! Thank you to everyone that has read and supported this blog! It's greatly appreciated! I hope you readers will continue to do so in the future, and have just as much fun reading this blog as I had writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment