Sunday, July 19, 2020

Nintendo Switch Online July Game Updates, My Thoughts

The Nintendo Switch Online service is growing! We got three old-school games coming on board to take their place in the mighty library! Let's take a look!



Donkey Kong Country - Hey, DKC! Developed by Rare and published by Nintendo for the SNES in 1994, there's not much I can say about this game that so many people already have. I was one of the first console games to have pre-rendered graphics, and it was the first Donkey Kong game that Shigeru Miyamoto did not direct or produce. It would be the third best-selling game for the SNES, and help keep the SNES popular when more advanced consoles like the PlayStation came out.

I'm surprised this didn't come to the Nintendo Switch Online Service sooner! It's a classic game, and I think it's one everyone should play. I believe I own the Game Boy Advance port of it. Play it, it's a great game!

Natsume Championship Wrestling - Developed and published by Natsume for the Super Nintendo in 1994. This was a conversion of a Japanese video game for the Super Famicom (The Japanese SNES), the original was based on a video game that used wresters from All-Japan Pro Wrestling.

This game was given mixed reception by critics. I've never heard of this game before, and it looks neat.

Ooh, that clothesline looked like it hurt!


The Immortal - Developed by Will Harvey and published by Electronic Arts, this game was ported from the Apple IIGS to the NES in 1990. The game has been praised for its graphics and controls, but criticized for its linear gameplay and lack of replay value. It also had a surprising amount of graphic violence for a game of the time. In the game, you play as a wizard that is searching through a labyrinth to find their mentor.

I first learned of this game thanks to the Angry Video Game Nerd. He did an episode on it. It looked kind of "meh" to me. As much as I love seeing lesser-known games get some exposure, this really doesn't do anything for me personally. If you remember it, I'm sure you'd like to play it again.

I do wish that the updates had more than only three games at a time. I can't help but wonder why they bring out such a low number. Still it is nice to see the Switch Online game library growing, and they're giving lesser-known games some love in the updates.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourself and each other. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, and wear a mask. See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment