Thursday, July 30, 2020

Text Play: Pokemon Zeta #11

Hello, and welcome back to the Vesryn region! This is the 11th entry in my Text Play of Pokémon Zeta!



As always, I want to warn you, I will be spoiling the game here. As such, if you want to play this game for yourself, I recommend downloading the game at its wiki right here. No emulator needed! Let's go!

Last time, I ended with preparing to run the gauntlet of Team Olympus members as part of my first assignment with the Ranger Club. I had tried to do it once, but despite my buying plenty of supplies for it, I got my butt handed to me. Yeah. That sucked.


As such, I felt the need to do some grinding. And I spent quite a bit of time doing so. Weepinbell was surprisingly easy to train up a bit on Route 310. There's plenty of Grass-type Pokémon there, and Weepinbell knows Acid. Acid is a Poison-type attack, and Poison-type attacks are super-effective against Grass Pokémon. It's also a good Route for training up my Magmar, it being a Fire-type and all.

However, it's not a great Route for training up my Seadra or Gabite. Seadra is Water and Gabite is Dragon/Ground. Grass is strong against Water and Ground. That's a pain. There are wild Charmeleons on Route 310 though, so it's not all bad. They do know Dragon Rage, though. Dragon Rage always does 40 HP of damage, and my Pokémon are at the mid-30s in power level right now, so that can hurt.


And admittedly, the grinding did start to wear on me a little bit. I got no issue with grinding in an RPG, but even I have my limits.


As such, I figured that maybe if I go a bit forward with this game's main story, I can make my Pokémon stronger and more ready to face the Team Olympus Gauntlet. So, where do we go next? We've beaten the Gym, and collected this town's Ancient Tome (Reminder: it was hidden in the bookcase in the house that had the Smeargle running around). There's also a hidden item near the beach.


It's a bit hard to see with the tree in the way, but it's there. It's a Max Ether. Can't go wrong with stocking up Ethers. Never understood why they were so darned expensive... Anyway, let's hit the beach! And we reunite with an old friend!


We've encountered Jeremy in the past. One of Professor Oak's assistants, we first met him way back in the Escape Route. He basically helped provide the tutorial for battling to new players and was the first person you battled in the game. We met him again in Zarivar Town. And now, he's here. Probably on a mission from Oak or something. He wants to engage in a friendly battle with me. If I win, I get HM03 (Surf). I'll need that thing, so let's do this!

1st Pokémon: Granbull (Lv. 32) - Defeated by Butterfree.
2nd Pokémon: Swablu (Lv. 30) - Defeated by Luxray
3rd Pokémon: Nidorino (Lv. 31) - Defeated by Gabite
4th Pokémon: Weepinbell (Lv. 30) - Defeated by Magmar

Jeremy's Pokémon team differs slightly depending on which Pokémon you pick at the start of the game. He always ends up with the Pokémon starter that's weak against your chosen starter. Since I started with Magby (Fire), he ended up with Bellsprout (Grass).

Not only do I get HM03, but I got some info. Turns out that Team Olympus is infesting Ladoga Town, which is eastwards of Kivu. Wonderful. Considering the Ranger Club has also been dealing with these guys, it's no surprise they're become like cockroaches. But then again, the game is not over yet, so it makes sense that they're still around.

I admit, I'm still very reluctant to use the HM despite its necessity here. I have ranted about how I'd prefer items like the Dolly and the Machete to HMs. I just wish instead of this HM, I had gotten an item, like a boat or a raft. Or even something like...this.



That's a real thing. That's a real thing, it's awesome, and I want it. Anyway, I picked up some Pokéballs, and taught Surf to Swirla, my Poliwhirl. And away we go!


Heh heh, you become a Lapras. This waterway is Route 311. There are plenty of swimmers floating around who want to fight. There's also lots of little "islands" all over the route. One had an item.


It's TM18 (Rain Dance). I kept going forward, and there was another little island with an item on it.



It's a Full Restore. You should get it. Route 311 leads right to Ladoga Town. And yes, it continues the lake theme. Ladoga Town is named after Lake Ladoga in Russia. It's the largest lake in Europe.

One of the first things I noticed when I arrived in town was this closed-off entryway here.


The purpose of this bicycle path is supposed to provide a shortcut to another town called Yangtze Town. I looked in the game's wiki about it, and I have some unfortunate spoilers. It doesn't open. It never does. Seriously. 



That's insane. What's the point of this Cycling Road entrance, then?! When you see something like this in a Pokémon game, you naturally assume that it will be opened at some point. This seems like a cruel joke! Why put this there if it's never going to be used?! I'd love to see a Cycling Road here! Cycling Roads are awesome! This is cruel.

But it's not important right now. Since we're in a new town, we have to uphold the old RPG tradition: Talk to everyone. And when I did so, I heard this interesting thing.


Yeah, this appears to possibly be Team Olympus's endgame: summoning a Pokémon called "Divaevus". Thing is...there's no such Pokémon. There really is not. It's a bit surprising to see as this game has pretty much used only "official" Pokémon so far. There are fangames out there that use original Pokémon, called "Fakémon" among fans. This, however, seemed to want to imitate an "official" fangame. I don't hate the addition of new original Pokémon, it's just a surprise. And if you want a laugh, talk to this dude.


He really loves the Luvdiscs. You get the same answer with all three choices, and I don't think it affects anything, so it's some harmless silly thing. But there is something interesting here. You know those Ancient Tomes that we have been finding all over the region? Well, there's a man living in a house above the Pokémon Center here. He's a bit of a rare book collector. And he says he'll take those Tomes off my hands in exchange for something special. Thing is, he wants the complete set. All 12 tomes, and I have only...4 or 5 right now, I think? I don't know, the game does not keep much track. But there are some cool things here. One is...you can get a Pokémon here.



I recommend leaving a spot open in your party before you come here. He gives you an Egg, one that he's been desperately trying to get rid of for some reason. It hatches into a Happiny.

And I think we'll stop here for right now. I want to maintain a monthly schedule on this Text Play, and I apologize if this sentry seemed a bit short and sudden in the end. My job has been taking up more of my time lately, and ending it here was the only way to keep the monthly schedule.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, and wear your mask! See you next time!

Pokémon Obtained:
(Route 311)
- Wingull
(Ladoga Town)
- Happiny

No comments:

Post a Comment