Sunday, February 28, 2021

Text Play: Pokémon Zeta #18

Welcome back to the Vesryn region! This is the 18th entry in my Text Play of Pokemon Zeta!


As usual, I must warn you, I will be spoiling the entire game. 


As such, I recommend playing the game for yourself before reading this. You can download it here. And with that, let's go!


Leaving the base, we find ourselves back on Route 310.


Sometimes in life, you have to go backward in order to go forward. If you look carefully, you can see a little square hole in the rock face neat to the base entrance. You may have seen those little holes in various places around Vesryn. Don't worry about it, we can't do anything with them yet. Just go down and walk to the right on the mountain until you reach this point.

You should have gotten the Surf HM (or the even better Instant Lapras) at this point. If you didn't get the Instant Lapras, but got the Surf HM, not to worry. In the last room in the base before you leave, there's a PC. You can use it to bring in a Pokémon that can learn Surf. I like this, a nice little anti-frustration feature. Once you start Surfing, you can go on until you get to a bridge.

This was an opportunity for me to do something I didn't do the last time I visited this route. If you start Surfing below this bridge, you can find this nice little hut.


It's a cute little hut, although I can't help but wonder how the inhabitants get supplies. I don't see a port for a boat . Maybe they train Pokémon for it? That would make sense as a world like this uses Pokémon for everything. Anyway, that item next to the house? It's TM11 (Sunny Day). The little building does have an unusual resident.

It's a Snorlax! Well, not an ordinary Snorlax. This is a Delta Snorlax? What is a Delta Snorlax, you ask? Well, it's from the fangame Pokémon Insurgence. Delta Pokémon can be considered a bit of a precursor to the Alolan variants from Pokémon Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon. A Delta Pokémon is a mutation that gives a Pokémon a different type than normal. In Delta Snorlax's case, it's a Grass-type whereas Snorlax is normally a Normal-type. 

With this guy caught, we go back on the bridge and head back to Kivu Town. It kind of makes sense we end up back here. Graham, who helped us start the trek through Team Olympus's base, was the Gym Leader of Kivu Town, after all.

I admit, I am a bit nervous about going through Mt. Press. As I said in the last entry, Mt. Press is very long. It's reminded me of my travails through Mt. Snarlet in Pokemon Mega Adventure. 


That reminds me, I really gotta finish that Text Play one day. Anyway, it's time to trek our way through Mt. Press! Like back through the Team Olympus base, I do recommend you make sure you have plenty of supplies. You're going to need them. You will need plenty of Potions and the like. Also, get Ultra Balls. Lots of them. And I would also recommend bringing along a Pokémon that knows a technique that can put opponents to sleep to help make it a little easier to catch the Pokémon that are native to the area. My Victreebel knows Spore and Butterfree knows Sleep Powder, so I'm covered there. 


Also, you're going to need the HMs Cut, Surf, Strength, and Waterfall to get through the mountain. However, by this point, we got items to replace some of these HMs. By this point, we got the Dolly (which replaces Strength), the Machete (which replaces Cut), and the Instant Lapras (which replaces Surf. So right now, we technically don't need Surf, Strength, and Cut. And thank goodness for that! In Treader Town, we can get HM05 (Waterfall). There is a house that contains a man chasing a Wingull named "Peeko".

If the name sounds familiar, its a cameo of Mr. Briney from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire. And you talk to him to get the HM. There is an item in this game that replaces it, the Jet Pack, but we can't get it yet. I've done the rant about seeing to use HMs to get the items that can be used as their replacements before, so I won't do it again here. It's the biggest issue I've had with this game, really.

Despite my nerves about Mt. Press, I gathered my courage and entered the big stone doors. Yeah, I thought they were metal because of the sprite, but evidently, they're stone.


Yeah. Learn something new every day.


Thankfully, even though Mt. Press is a long journey, it's a rather straightforward one. There isn't a maze of tunnels and the like. Also, if you want to get a Magnezone or a Probopass in this game, you can get one here. How? Well, just bring a Magneton or a Nosepass and level it up. I'm guessing that Mt. Press has a lot of highly magnetized rocks in it that can trigger such an evolution. I have to admit, I am not a fan of this particular kind of evolution. I mean, it does seem rather inconvenient. 

Mt. Press is a good place to grind up your Pokémon. And I recommend that you do so here. You see, as part of the game's story, we'll be fighting Zeus again, and his Pokémon will be at levels 50-60. So we need to make sure our Pokémon can face them. You can also add some Pokémon to your collection here. 

So how do we get through Mt. Press? Well, from the stone entrance, we make our way to the western wall. We'll encounter a couple of trainers on the way. From there, we go upwards to the highest ledge and follow it eastwards until we reach a dead-end. Wait, it's over already? Nope! We jump down from the ledge, and we find the exit! 


Well, sort of. This tunnel leads to an external ledge of the mountain. There's a couple more trainers to fight, and plenty of tall grass to fight wild Pokémon in. There's also a path to follow that takes you to a line of tall trees. If you have a Pokémon with Cut (or even, the MACHETE), you can Cut your way through them and enter the upper section of Mt. Press's first floor. Yeah, this is all the first floor. It is a mountain, after all. 

One we renter the mountain, you go west to the wall, where there's a Hiker to battle. Go north past him after battling him and you end up in a fork in the road. You can go upwards or east. If you go east, you'll find an item.


It's a Revive. If you ever find a revive anywhere, go grab it. Revives are useful, and they are expensive as heck in shops. Worth it, though. Revives your Pokémon from fainting with half its HP. It does look like you can just go straight up from the exit, right? Well, unfortunately...no. You have to go back to the fork and take the upward path. Yeah, it's annoying, but not as annoying as some other things I've had to deal with in video games. I'm just glad that Mt. Press seems to be less of a pain than...Mt. Snarlet.


God, I hate Mt. Snarlet...

One of the most interesting places I saw on the way through the mountain was this.


What is that? Well, it's a place you can catch Combee. Combee are cute little Pokémon. I would recommend a lower-level Pokémon be used to help catch these, as they're around level 30. We can re-enter the mountain from the cave entrance near the hive. From there, we go westwards, battling a couple of trainers on the way. It's here we run into...a bit of an obstacle.

No problem! We have the Dolly! We can easily move this big ol' rock! Once we get back the big rock, we encounter a little lake. No problem! We got the Instant Lapras! So, let's take a little swim on the lake, and we'll be further on our way...


Oh, you got to be kidding me. Well, this isn't surprising that there's a frickin' waterfall here.


It's never easy. But I think here's a good place to stop for now. I want to prepare my Pokémon for some of those big fights I meantioned earlier coming up...and get a Pokémon that knows Waterfall. Wish me luck! Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, and wear a mask!

Pokemon Obtained:
(Route 310)
- Delta Snorlax
(Mt. Press)
- Krokorok
- Golett
- Drifblim
- Bronzor
- Chimecho
- Klefki
- Mawile (140th Pokemon! Whoo!)
- Combee

No comments:

Post a Comment