Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Cruella Trailer, My Thoughts

They say she's brilliant, they say she's bad, they say she's a little bit mad. I am talking about, of course, the mad Miss Cruella De Vil. Get it? De Vil? Anyway, the character actually first appeared in Dodie Smith's 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmations. The villainess would gain a major following when the novel was adapted into the 17th film in the Disney Animated Canon: 1961's 101 Dalmations. The late Betty Lou Gerson provided her voice.

The character would go on to be one of Disney's most popular villainesses, being portrayed by Glenn Close in the 1996 live-action remake of 101 Dalmations and its sequel (she's also producing this movie), and would be portrayed in live-action again by Victoria Smurfit in Once Upon a Time. And now Emma Stone will be donning Cruella's black-and-white hair for this take on Cruella's origins! Let's look at the trailer!


Huh. I never figured Cruella to be a redhead.

USE A ZEBRA CROSSING! THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE FOR!


I think this is supposed to be set in the 60s, I think? 

Lady there looks kind of like Diana Rigg from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Heh heh, Hell Hall. Get it? I think that's from the original novel.

Well, to be fair Cruella, you're famous for trying to make a bunch of puppies into a fur coat, so...understandable?


Hey, Dalmations! Figures we'd see some here.

Well, kudos to Cruella, she can make an entrance.

...she lost her keys again.


(rolleyes)

WELCOME TO CRUELLA DE VIL'S MAGICAL DRUG JOURNEY! They really ended up regretting slipping her that LSD.

Don't you just hate it when you try and crack a safe and it ends up unleashing a ton of insects all over the place? Could be worse. Could be these guys.

...you know, I just had a scary thought. If Cruella ever met the Maximals, she'd try and make suits of armor out of them! 


(run away)

Well, this looks...interesting. I can get why some have joked that this film seems to be Disney's take on Joker, but I think this trailer is trying to make this film look more...darkly humorous, or at least not trying to be as "serious" as Joker's trailer tried to show. I will admit, I never really thought much of Disney doing villain origin films. I just figured "Hey, people like the Disney villains, so of course they're going to do thing with them". I will admit, though, this has got me curious to see how Cruella became the villainess we know and love to hate.

Thanks for reading this blog entry!  If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves, and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, and wear a mask! See you next time!

1 comment:

  1. I know. She looks (and sounds!) just like Diana Rigg from OHMSS and The Avengers. It's uncanny / unnerving!

    ReplyDelete