Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Text Play: Pokémon Zeta #19

Hello, and welcome back to the Vesryn region! This is entry number 19 in my Text Play of Pokemon Zeta!


Wow, it's hard to believe we're almost at the big 2-0 already. I know, I'm surprised by it, too. It's quite amazing. I never imagined I'd get this far in this game. As usual, I want to warn you all that I will be spoiling this game.


As such, I suggest you play the game for yourself before reading this Text Play. You can dowload the game for yourself at the game's wiki here. And with that, let's go!

Since the last Text Play, I've been doing a bit of grinding up. There's going to be some tough battles coming up, and I want my Pokémon to be ready for them. In the meantime, I thought I'd explore the mountain a little bit. Do you remember this area of Mt. Press? 


Of course you do! That's the hive where we added Combee to our collection! Well nearby, there's this area.


The thing is, we need a Pokémon that knows Rock Climb to go to the next level here. It's not a key area to explore if you want to go forward in the game's narrative, but the Pokémon games are all about exploration, so we might as well explore it. I headed back to the Pokémon Center to grab a Pokémon that knew Rock Climb. Unfortunately, I don't think I had any Pokémon that knew it. And unfortunately, I do not have the TM/HM that teaches it, either. Sadly, that means we can't explore the mountain. We have to stick to the main path.


However, I do have the HM that teaches Waterfall. Remember the waterfall we encountered in the last entry inside the mountain? Well, we can use it to literally climb the waterfall and move forward. 


And knowing this game, as soon as we use the HM to get up the waterfall, we'll find an item that lets us scale waterfalls without having to use a Pokémon that knows the move. It's a regular pattern with this game. I've gone on rants before here about how annoying that is to me, so I will not do that again here. It's one of the main things that annoy me about this game. Anyway, I grabbed my Tentacool (No particular reason, I just chose it at random), and taught it Waterfall. Although I will admit, the mental image of a jellyfish climbing up a waterfall is rather amusing. And when we get there, we arrive at a lake.

It's not much of a lake, but there it is. From here, we go to the right. There are a couple trainers here, but they can be avoided.  



This lake has two waterfalls here. The one on the left leads to a nurse.


I like that there's a nurse here. It's a nice little anti-frustration feature. The waterfall on the right leads to a...ledge?


Is ledge the appropriate word here? There is an item behind that rock, but don't worry about breaking it. We don't have the badges for it yet. I know. We need a certain number of badges to break a rock. Pokémon is weird.

The area with the nurse leads to another external path. You have to battle a couple of Trainers to get through here. The first one is pretty funny.


He kind of reminded me of Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z Abridged after I clobbered him. "What kind of juice did your Pokémon drink?!" Ha ha! Yeah, that's one of the fun things about this game, the trainer and NPC dialog. Some of it is pretty darn funny. This part of the mountain is a very good place to grind up your Pokémon. Lots of Audino here. Since they're Normal-type, you can use just about any Pokémon in your team against them. And they're pretty generous with the XP, as far as I can tell. Anyway, we head upwards on the external trail to re-enter the mountain.  

Once inside, we head up a pair of staircases. They lead to a trainer nearby.


Up above her, there is an item.


It's TM64 (Explosion). After grabbing the item, we head upwards over a couple more staircases. In the way, we met this woman, who had something interesting to say.


...I had honestly forgotten there was a Daycare Center near Onega. We first encountered it all the way back in entry #3! I do want to go back there and breed some Pokémon. I do have a Ditto, so I should do that some time. We continue upwards, battling a trainer that uses Psychic-type Pokémon. Near her is a ledge.

Don't worry about that, we don't have Rock Climb. We can get that another time, and you don't need a Pokémon that knows it to make the main way through the mountain anyway. We end up on the exterior of Mt. Press again. From the exit, we turn right and battle a trainer on the way.


We can use the Machete to cut our way back inside the mountain. Once inside, we go to the left and battle a Hiker. Then we head up and take the exit back out to the exterior. 


That seemed...rather pointless. Anyway, it's snowing! We must be getting close to the peak if we're seeing snow everywhere. Although I will admit, it's a good thing we have that Pokémon Trainer constitution, because it can get quite cold up here.


There are trainers to battle here, but I do have to warn you. Because of the snowy conditions here, your Pokémon will get hit by hail, causing them to suffer a little extra damage every turn. Anyway, during my stay in the mountain, I figured I might as well train up my Tentacool. 


Let me explain. As I said earlier, I needed a Pokémon that knew Waterfall to get through Mt. Press. As such, I decided to teach it to my Tentacool. I didn't want to saddle my Kingdra with it if I could help it. Kingdra was one of the fully evolved starters of this game, and I do not like the idea of sticking it with an unremovable HM move. Unfortunately, Tentacool is very underleveled compared to the other Pokémon on my regular team. The rest of my main team are nearly at level 50 right now. I got a lot of grinding to do.


Yeah, that's a pain. But it has to be done. I wish I could go quickly back to Onega Town and breed another Horsea to equip with Waterfall here. That would be handy. But I have neither time nor the desire to do that, so Tentacool/Tentacruel is taking Kingdra's place on the team for this. Sorry, Kingdra. I'll hopefully be able to make it up to ya, buddy.

Continuing on the mountain! After you emerge here, you go up a staircase and battle a pair of twin trainers. After them, you head right and go up. If you go right from the staircase, you find an item.


Don't worry about that now. You need Rock Smash to get it. And I think right here is where we'll stop for now. It's not much further until we're forced into a major battle, and I want my team to be ready. I also want to maintain a regular schedule with these entries. You know, I don't know if I really managed to describe the route through the mountain very well. If anything confused you, here's a link to the Pokémon Zeta/Omicron wiki's description of Mt. Press. I think it did a better job of describing the mountain than I did. Anyway, I got grinding to do, and I gotta prepare for a major brawl with Team Olympus...not to mention another surprise.

Wish me luck! Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves, and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get vaccinated! See you next time!

Pokemon Obtained:
(Mt. Press)
- Garchomp (evolved from Gabite)
- Quagsire
- Spiritomb
- Cloyster
- Golbat
- Audino
- Snover
- Tentacruel (evolved from Tentacool)
- Piloswine
- Snorunt
- Metang

No comments:

Post a Comment