Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Text Play: Pokémon Xenoverse #5

Hello, and welcome back to the Eldiw region! This is the fifth entry in my Text Play of Pokémon Xenoverse!


Now, as is tradition, I want to warn you all. I will be spoiling this game.


So, I recommend that you play the game for yourself first. You can download it here. It's playable in English. I wouldn't be able to play this game otherwise, as I don't really know any Italian. And I lived in Italy for a while as a kid.


Well, this is it. It's time to take on Ginger and his gym. I had to do quite a bit of grinding to get ready to face him. I will admit, though. Despite all the grinding I have done, I am a bit nervous about facing him. I don't know why. I mean, I have a bunch of Pokémon to counter the Fighting-type he specializes in. I'm guessing it's because I feel like I have no idea what I'm getting into. It's a bit nerve-racking, but exciting at the same time. Besides, we kind of have to beat him to go forward. The tunnel that takes us out of Newtron City is being guarded by three of Ginger's boys.


I wonder, do they do shifts? Do they always do this when there's a Trainer here to challenge the Gym? What if there's an emergency? Well, I can imagine that they would allow exceptions like if the Trainer has a family emergency, and they allow normal traffic to and from town because that would just annoy people. Anyway, let's go beat the Gym.


Naturally, Ginger's gym is themed around a school.

The Gym's challenge is to find the right keys for the classrooms. They can be found in the lockers that line the walls. I wonder if this Gym also doubles as an actual school. I mean, it would make sense since Newtron City is essentially a college town. I can imagine that when gym battles aren't going on, there are actual classes being held in this building. That would be pretty neat. Have a math class, then go watch Ginger fight a Trainer going through the Gym circuit.


Anyway, we go into the building, and you notice that the floor seems to be littered with books.

Looks like this place needs a janitor. There's books everywhere! Well, there's actually a reason for this. You see, these books are subtle indicators/deceivers. You know these lockers lining the walls? Some of them can be opened up. The lockers next to the books are the ones that can be opened up. Sadly, most of these lockers are empty. Ginger is a troll.


But it's not completely hopeless. One of the lockers next to the small stack of blue books has a key in it.


The Classroom A key opens up the Science classroom. This...leads to questions.


Anyway, we head forward, and find ourselves at a crossroads.


Okay, the key is not going to work here. The left door leads to the Amphitheater, and the right is the Math classroom. As someone who attended college, a Math class makes sense. Further ahead, we find three more doors.

The left door is the one we want, as it leads to the Science classroom. The door on the right is the janitor's closet. Although knowing this place, there's likely a trainer waiting for us there, too. 


The Science classroom is just...an average-looking classroom. Not much of interest here. The room does have a trash bin in the bottom right corner which has an Ether in it. The teacher here is named Mary Jane, and she has the next key. Naturally, we have to battle her for it.


First Pokémon: Timburr (Lv. 15) - Defeated by Trishout.
Second Pokémon: Onix (Lv. 16) - Defeated by Wingull.
Third Pokémon: Riolu (Lv. 15) - Defeated by Shawkbird.

She's in awe of our Pokémon's "chemistry"...I'm think she's referring to how well we work together. Anyway, she gives us the key to the Amphitheater. 

The Amphitheater is a big room compared to the classroom we were just in. That makes sense, since an amphitheater is supposed to be a gathering place for a large group of people. However, I get the impression that this place doesn't get a lot of students, considering the small number of chairs. But that's not important. The only occupants in this room are a pair of cheerleaders. I'm guessing they were practicing some cheers for sports. Likely the football team, as we've seen football players here. Their names are Tina and Clair. These two bring a double battle.

1st Pokémon - Masgot and Scraggy (both Lv. 16) -  Masgot defeated by Trishout with Fire Fang. Scraggy defeated by Wingull with Wing Attack.

An easy battle done, we got the key for Classroom B. The two cheerleaders don't hold their loss against you. In fact, they give you a nice congratulatory cheer when you talk to them afterwards.


This key opens up the door to the Math classroom.

It looks much more advanced than the last classroom we were in. I can't help but think that this should have been the Science classroom. I mean, the Science classroom looks more like it would fit a Math classroom. The teacher, Karl, remarks that math is the key and the door to the sciences. He's quoting Galileo. Nice to see in a Pokémon game.


As usual, we battle him.

1st Pokémon: Heracross (Lv. 17) - Defeated by Trishout with Fire Fang.

Being a good sport about it, Karl gives out the Closet Key. This key allows us to enter the Janitor's closet.

Hey, who turned out the lights?! It's pretty dark in here. In the center of the room is the janitor himself, a gray-haired man named Arthur. What, does he just sit in the dark here waiting for trainers to face him?


People in Pokémon games can be weird.

1st Pokémon: Trubbish (Lv. 16) - Defeated by Trishout with Fire Fang.
2nd Pokémon: Croagunk (Lv. 16) - Defeated by Shawkbird with Spark. 

Amusingly, he says he's not going to clean the mess our battle made up. Dude, you're a janitor! That's your job. And if you didn't want to clean up the mess from a Pokémon battle that you engaged in, then you shouldn't have engaged in one! 


Anyway, he gives out the Schoolyard Key. this allows us to open up the last door in the school...and Ginger himself. The Schoolyard is behind the big double doors at the end of the hall. Pass through them, and you end up in this nice little courtyard.


There are still a couple more Trainers to fight on the way here, Ginger's buddies we met earlier. You can walk around them if you don't want to battle them. But I do want to, just so my Pokémon can get some extra XP before facing Ginger. The first trainer you face here is Alan.

1st Pokémon: Beefle (Lv. 17) - Defeated by Trishout with Fire Fang.
2nd Pokémon: Yemin (Lv. 18) - Defeated by Trishout with Babble.

And then there's one obstacle left: Eric. He thinks that whole "Chosen One" is just hype.


Let's do this.

1st Pokémon: Punchbug (Lv. 19) - Defeated by Trishout with Fire Fang. 

Heh. Looks like it wasn't hype after all, eh Eric?


Yeah. After that, I went back to that nurse outside the Gym, healed up, and saved my game. Just in case.

(smart)

And after all of this, well...it's time.


Let's go fight Ginger. Head back inside the school, and make your way through the Courtyard until we get to the battle area.


Looks like Gym fights are a big event around here. And this one is no different. It's a beautiful day, not too hot or cold, a fine day for a Pokémon battle. Ginger wants to see what my Pokémon can do. Alright, if that's what he wants. 

1st Pokémon: Passimian (Lv. 20) - Defeated by Trishout.
2nd Pokémon: Pyukumuku (Lv. 22) - Defeated by Shawkbird.
3rd Pokémon: Hawlucha (Lv. 20) - Defeated by Shawkbird.

And with that, we've won! 


Ginger is impressed. I handed him his first defeat on campus. He finds it inspiring, vowing to get stronger so he and my Pokémon can reach my level. He thanks us again for stopping Team Dimension, and gives us the Match Badge and TM76 (Power-Up Punch). Remember the tunnel that was blocked by Ginger's boys we saw earlier? Well, it's now opened up, and we can go on Route 5. We head out when...


Yeah, I think Ginger has something more to tell us. He asks us if we know Aster. Well, Aster and Ginger's dad were evidently friends or co-workers, and they developed a little vehicle for Trainers: The Pokéboard. Basically, it's a hoverboard.


Ginger's dad sent him the latest model of it from Vega City, but he wants me to have it. So, yeah. I have a hoverboard now.



I love this game so much for letting me have a hoverboard. And I think that's where we'll stop for now. Join me next month as I make my way through Route 5 and see what is out there. Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get vaccinated and boosted! See you next time!

Pokémon Obtained
(Newtron City)
- Pelipper (evolved from Wingull)


No comments:

Post a Comment