Friday, June 23, 2023

Super Mario RPG Remake Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1996, Nintendo published the Square-Enix-developed game Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game told the tale of Mario and his allies (and in a first for the Mario series, teaming up with Bowser) taking on the alien robot blacksmith Smithy to save the Mushroom Kingdom. The game would be a best-seller. In Japan, it sold 1.47 million copies, making it the third-best selling game of the year there. In the United States, the game would be the sixth-best selling game of the year.

The game would also receive much critical praise, mainly focusing on its graphics and humor. It had been given criticism for seeming a bit too "childish" for older RPG fans. Despite this, the game has made many gaming critics and fans' "best games of all time lists" and is beloved by gamers. The game has never gotten a direct sequel, but it has had spiritual successors in the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series. In the latest Nintendo Direct, it has been announced that a remake is in the works for Nintendo Switch. Let's look at the trailer! 


"La la la, look at the butterflies...oh, I'm getting kidnapped again, aren't I?" Not this time!

I like the new look. I especially like that they kept it colorful. A Mario game should be colorful.

Running around the Overworld is always fun. 

Ooh, that'll hurt!

"You're paying for that door, Bowser!"

I love that this game managed to somehow make a reference to the Rainbow Road. 

...oh, I just learned that was something already in the original game. The Star Road. Right. Wait, it can't be the same Star Road in Super Mario World because that Star Road was in Dinosaur Land, and this game is set in the Mushroom Kingdom...


Oh, right. Yeah, I didn't get that far in the original game.

Well, this looks like a ton of fun. I have played a little bit of the original version and I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I wish I was able to finish it. I have a bad habit of leaving games unfinished. But this still looks like it will be a wonderful remake. Hopefully, it'll be a remake that includes more stuff than just a graphical upgrade. Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show if off! Take care of yourselves, and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get your vaccine/booster! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment