Monday, August 7, 2023

The Last Voyage of the Demeter Trailer, My Thoughts

In 1897, the novel Dracula was published, written by Irish author Abraham "Bram" Stoker. This novel would help codify the vampire in the imagination of the West, and over 120 years later, Dracula was a character that has managed to make his way to just about every form of media imaginable. From June to October 2021, the film The Last Voyage of the Demeter was filmed, and is now on its way to release.

Written by Bragi F. Schut, Jr., the film was inspired by a chapter of the book, called "The Captain's Log". Basically, this film is taking Dracula's voyage from Romania to London on the Demeter from the book and making it into a stand-alone film. Schut Jr. was inspired to write the screenplay after seeing the model of the ship that was used in the 1992 film Bram Stoker's Dracula. The film will be directed by Norwegian filmmaker Andre Ovredal, and its cast includes Corey Hawkins, Aisling Franciosi, and David Dastmalchian. Let's look at the trailer!


Wait, how do you know he's called "Dracula"? Did he introduce himself or something? "Hello, my name is Dracula, I'll be eating all you sailors tonight."

I'm joking. Dracula is a legend. Everybody knows Dracula. He throws some fun parties.

I see their take on ol' Drac here is drawing from the Nosferatu/Count Orlok well. 

I'm sure nothing bad is going to happen to anyone on this ship, and it will be a smooth, relaxing journey. Yup, just clear skies and calm waters the whole way.

And I'm sure those "private crates" totally do not contain a monster and his dirt. Dracula loves his homeland dirt. He's no fan of sand, though.

I hope the dog makes it.

Ahhhh, crud. This voyage is gonna suuuuck...

Quite literally in Drac's case. he'll be doing a lot of sucking.

"You slaughter a bunch of animals and people for their blood to survive, and they call you evil incarnate. Sheesh!" 

I have to admit, the idea of taking a chapter from a book and making a film based on it is...a choice. I can see why someone would do that here. The Captain's Log is an opportunity to tell a closed-in story about a doomed crew desperately fighting for survival against a seemingly invincible monster. I admit, I'm not a "horror guy", but if I was, I'd give this film a shot, as it looks really good. If you like horror, you may like this movie. 

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you lik it, show it off! Take care of yourselves, and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get your vaccine/booster! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment