Sunday, November 16, 2014

Adventures in Pokemon Y Part 4: Santalune Gym

Okay, I've done some further training of my Pokémon, especially my three Fire-types (Vulcan the Fennekin, Bunsen the Pansear, and Firemane the Litleo), so now...it's time to hit the Gym, and try out for the first badge in Kalos: The Bug Badge. Bug Badge. Pretty obvious what kind of Pokémon the Gym Leader hands out, huh? Well, time to take on the Gym.

As I said earlier, when I first entered the Gym, it looked like an art gallery. It's appropriate. Evidently, when Viola isn't working as a video game boss, she's an avid photographer, and uses her Gym as a gallery to show off her work. I can't help but wonder if the Pokémon League in Kalos is cool with this. Wouldn't this be technically moonlighting? I'm guessing they're fine with it, because nobody in the Gym charged me for looking at the photos.

When I enter the Gym, the guy inside greets me and welcomes me to the Gym. How nice. He asks me if I'm thrilled with my first Gym challenge. You bet! I got three Fire Pokémon that wants to meet Viola's bugs. He shows me a pole in the center of the gallery, and tells me to challenge Viola, I have to go down it. Evidently, Viola was also once a firefighter, or she is a big Ghostbusters fan. Or of the 1966 Batman series. He also reminds me that Viola and the trainers inside specialize in Bug Pokémon. Yeah, thanks for telling me. I didn't go to the trouble to catch and train Bunsen and Firemane just for the fun of it...okay, maybe a little bit for the fun of training Pokémon.

I go down the pole, and find myself in the middle of a spider web. A big freakin' spider web. What is this thing made of? I know spider silk is supposed to be really strong, but geez! A spider web in a Bug-themed Gym. Yes, spiders are not insects, they are arachnids. Arachnids are a different class of creature. However, quite a few Bug-type Pokémon have been modeled on spiders, so I'm not surprised to see this.

The Trainers in the Gym weren't any real challenge, I was able to plow through them easily. Viola herself was surprisingly tough, though. She had a Surskit, which is partially Water. It was frustrating, but I also actually liked that. It showed that the Gym Leaders are smart enough to know that overspecialization is NOT good. And since it appears that Viola's liking of Bug Pokémon is well-known to the public, she's smart enough to realize Trainers will bring Fire-types against her (and considering the Santalune Forest and Route 22 are where a Trainer can find wild Pansears and Litleos), she knows she's going to need something to counter the Fire-types Trainers will be bringing against her. It does bring a bit of frustration, but it's nice to see a little savvy on the Gym Leader's part.

Anyway, I managed to beat her and get my Bug Badge.

This badge will stare into your soul...

The Bug Badge allows Trainers to command Pokémon up to level 30, even ones obtained in trades. This is handy, as I can now add my Chespin and Froakie to my team. I wanted them in my main team, now I can keep them on the team for a while. I never thought about it much in previous games I played, but now I can't help but wonder, how exactly does that work in-universe? Game mechanics-wise, I understand the reason for this, it prevents the game from being beaten too easily, but how does it work in the actual world within in the games? The anime has hinted that Badges are a sign that a Trainer is powerful and is to be regarded with respect by a Pokémon.

I also got a load of money and a TM, which is typical for a Gym. This TM is for a move called Infestation, a move that prevents Pokémon from fleeing for four to five turns. This'll be helpful in catching wild Pokémon, especially Abra. Abra is in this game, and I have caught one in previous games. They are a pain to catch and train, but having an Alakazam on your team is worth it.

Upon leaving Viola, the guy hanging out in the gallery area congratulates me on winning the first Kalos badge. They also engraved my name on the statues there. That's pretty cool. It's nice to know that there are still some traditions that don't change in the Pokémon world.

I've done pretty much everything there is to do here in Santalune City, so time for me to grab some supplies in the Poké Mart, make some adjustments to my Pokémon team, and then head out to the next Route and Town to collect some more Pokémon, train my team, and find more adventure!

Pokémon Obtained: None

No comments:

Post a Comment