Sunday, November 9, 2014

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, First Impressions

I have recently managed to obtain a game I had been eagerly anticipating for some time: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. I didn't get the Wii U version because I do not own a Wii U.


I've been a fan of the Smash Bros. series, playing it since the first game on the N64 all those years ago. The concept was so simple, beautiful, and awesome: The stars of Nintendo's various games all facing off against each other a la Street Fighter or Tekken. This simple idea has evolved into a series that has become one of Nintendo's best and most fun series, the games paying homage to Nintendo history.


As such, I had to get the latest one. In short, I love it. The first thing I love is the roster. It's got a great roster of characters from a variety of series. One addition I liked was Little Mac from the Punch-Out series. When I thought about it, I thought it was strange he wasn't an actual fighter in the game series from the beginning. Little Mac is a boxer, he would've been a perfect fighter for Smash Bros. Ah well, I guess it was since his series didn't get any games for the N64 as far as I know. But then again, as far as I know, the Metroid series also skipped over the N64 as well, and Samus Aran got to be a playable fighter. Ah, well.


It was also really neat seeing Pac-Man as a fighter. It wasn't surprising, really, as Namco helped develop the game. What is also nice was his attacks also pay homage to other Namco games, like Mappy and Galaga.


Anyway, the game was huge! There's so much to do besides straight-up fights. There's the Home Run contest, the All-Star and Classic modes make their return. The game has no Story mode like in Brawl. I wish it did, but I didn't find myself missing it when playing. One of the neatest features was that you could take your little Mii character and put it in the game and have it Brawl alongside and against the gaming legends.


So far, the only issue I had with the game is the control. It does take some getting used to. However, you can change which buttons do what, so it's not a big deal. I also tend to lose track of what is going on slightly because of my 2DS's screen, but it's not a game-breaker to me.


I'm going to keep playing this game and see what else I can unlock. I've already unlocked Wario, so I can't wait to see what other hidden characters are there!

No comments:

Post a Comment