Monday, November 24, 2014

Big Hero 6 Review

Today, I got to do something that was a lot of fun. I got to go to my local theatre, and I watched a fantastic film: Big Hero 6.
Greetings. I am Baymax, and you will be quoting me quite a bit.
Big Hero 6 was the first film done by Disney using characters from Marvel Comics, which they acquired in 2009. The team in the comics themselves are pretty obscure, so they had a lot of freedom to tell a story, and perhaps give some spotlight to some lesser-known characters.

I have to be honest, I was very excited about this film. Had been since I saw the first trailer. So, when I finally had the chance to go the theatre and see it, I had high hopes.

I was not disappointed. The film was preceded by a short called Feast. Feast focused on a dog named Winston who was fond of food. It was a sweet little short, and very adorable. Big Hero 6 focuses on Hiro Hamada (He was actually named Hiro Takachiho in the comics, I guess his name was changed because "Hamada" was easier to pronounce), a teenage genius and his sidekick, a robot named Baymax. He and his friends, a group of science whizzes with their own talents, become superheroes to stop a menace armed with nanotechnology.

The film's setting, a merging of San Francisco and Tokyo called San Fransokyo (Yup), was amazing to see, a futuristic world that was bright and colorful, a great setting for a colorful group of heroes like Big Hero 6. The group never calls themselves that by name, but I can imagine it would be hard to come up with a reason why the group would call themselves "Big Hero 6".

This film had something for everyone: action, humor, and touching moments. Disney was wise to focus on Baymax for their advertising, as he definitely was a breakout character. Scott Adsit's delivery was robotic, but also allowed Baymax to show a surprising amount of emotion and humanity.

The rest of the voice cast did fine work, too. Ryan Potter made Hiro Hamada a likable kid. T.J. Miller's Fred was goofy, laid back, and fit his design very well. Jamie Chung made GoGo Tomago tough and awesome. Genesis Rodriguez's Honey Lemon was incredibly sweet. Damian Wayans Jr.'s Wasabi was a voice of reason who was funny in his own right.

The one thing I really loved about this film's story was that the main villain and Hiro became parallels of each other in motivation. I'll leave you to watch the movie to see exactly what I mean.

The only real critique I have with this film was that it was a bit short, about an hour and fifteen minutes. However, it's a minor critique. The story went along at a good pace, and accomplished all it set out to do. And to be honest, I'd rather sit through a short film than a long film that drags on and on. Animated films are rarely longer than two full hours anyway, so again, the short time is not something that really bothers me.

Go see this film. It's a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment