Sunday, October 30, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer, My Thoughts

With how successful the Guardians of the Galaxy's film debut was with critics and fans, it was not surprising that a sequel would be in the works. The Guardians' fans eagerly awaited any tidbits of new information on the upcoming film, from footage of Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillian training together, to the announcement of Kurt Russell being cast.

Recently, Guardians fans got a special treat: A trailer for the sequel. Here it is!


The first thing I noticed was the return of Blue Swede's "Hooked on a Feeling". I have heard an acquaintance of mine comment that it would've been nice to hear a snippet of some music from Awesome Mix Vol.2.

Minor spoiler for the first movie, at the end of it, Star-Lord finally unwraps his late mother's final gift, and it was revealed to be another cassette tape, the second Awesome Mix. I understand why he thought that, but perhaps "Hooked on a Feeling" was used to hide the music from the second tape, and the new songs on the soundtrack will be revealed when the film finally comes out.

I did get a chuckle out of the panel that said "Spacesuits For Emergency. Or Fun." I heard this sequel would be darker than the original, but this moment gives me some hope that the humor that helped make the first film so great won't be completely ditched.

We get some brief teasing shots of Drax. Gamora, and Star-Lord. We then get an amazing shot of Gamora unsheathing a sword and charging into battle. We also get some shots of the members of the Guardians, including Yondu. We also get a brief shot of Nebula. Evidently, she's gotten some more cybernetics in her head, based on what we can briefly see. She had to have a new hand for sure, as she cut off hers to escape Gamora in the last movie.

We do get some great dialogue from Drax, where he remarks that there are two kinds of people: Those who dance, and those who don't. In  a bit of a clever moment, when Drax says "those who dance", we see Star-Lord (He danced to distract Ronan), and when he says "those who don't", we get a shot of Gamora (who said in the last movie she doesn't dance). A very clever subtle call back to the last movie. And it is nice to see that Drax is as blunt as ever. I laughed when Drax hugged Star-Lord.

We also briefly get to see Rocket Raccoon shoot something. And Baby Groot. Who is adorable.

I really enjoyed this trailer. It was wonderfully put together, and a joy to watch. It gave some laughs, and it made me excited. I LOVED the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and I have always wanted to see a sequel, but this trailer has gotten me more hyped. I can't wait for it to come out next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment