Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Pokemon Sun and Moon Starter Evolutions Trailer, My Thoughts

Yup, yet another Pokémon Sun and Moon reveal trailer. There's getting to be about a many of these as there are getting to be actual Pokémon in the games. Wow. Anyway, this one focuses on the Starter Pokémon's evolved forms. Let's take a look!


The first evolution revealed is Rowlet's evolution, Dartrix. I have to admit, I like the name. There's something kind of...cool about it. I do like that it does keep the leaf bow tie from the Rowlet stage, and the green fringe bangs make me chuckle. I wanted to make a joke about it being emo, but the default expression stopped that. It looks...cheerful and perky. Not bad at all. I had seen some fan designs for a Rowlet evolution that I thought were very nice, but this one is pretty good.

Next to be revealed is Litten's evolution, Torracat. This one is easily my favorite. It may not be the most imaginative, but I think it's a very sensical-looking evolution, if that makes sense. It reminds me of how the original starters looked when they evolved. It looked similar to the previous form, but it also has signs of being a bigger, stronger, better form. And it's also a big kitty, and I like kitties.

The third is Popplio's evolution, Brionne. I do get what they're going for with this design, trying to maintain the idea of the clown theme a little bit. Like Torracat, Brionne is keeping with the design tradition for starter evolutions, which I do like about the design. I think it looks really cute. Very nice.

Another new feature is revealed: The Festival Plaza! It looks like a gigantic theme park, where players can interact and earn coins by interaction. Said coins can be used to buy items at various shops and also pay for rides that help train your Pokémon and improve their stats. I think this is very clever. It's a great way to encourage people to go out and play together. The Pokémon series since Gen 1 have tried to encourage trainers to interact with each other, and I think this new feature will go great.

Another new feature! Poké Pelago! It's a special place for Pokémon that you store in your PC boxes! The various island in the Pelago allow Pokémon to lure wild ones to join you, search for rare items, and train them. I think this feature is absolutely brilliant!


It really is! It actually does allow the Pokémon you keep in your boxes to have a purpose besides sitting in them all day. Makes me wish they came up with this sooner...although to be fair, the tech to pull this off probably didn't exist until now. Still, Poké Pelago is an incredible feature! I imagine this one will be used heavily! I know I'll be using it heavily. I do feel kind of bad about the Pokémon sitting in boxes, never to be used. At least collecting them will have a real point now besides bragging rights.

Mega Evolution is making a comeback, baby! Yup, Mega Evolution will return in Sun and Moon! I hope there will be some new Megas! I wonder if any of the Alolan variants will be able to Mega Evolve? I highly doubt it, but it would be neat if there was at least one that could.

The last thing the trailer reveals is that ademo will be made available in a couple weeks, in which the player can use Ash-Greninja. Now, I know it's slightly different-looking from other Greninja, but why is it called Ash-Greninja? Is this a Pokémon Ash uses in the anime? I don't know. But you can transfer it to your copy of Sun or Moon, so that's nice.

This trailer is very nice. Revealed some awesome new features. Can't wait for these games! Now I have to get through Omega Ruby and Dragon Quest VII...

No comments:

Post a Comment