Friday, February 24, 2017

Samurai Jack Season 5 Trailer, My Thoughts

Jack is Back!

That's right, folks! The time-tossed samurai is returning for a fifth and final season, ten years after the original end of season four. I loved this series back in the day, and I was so happy to see it return! And here's the trailer!


The trailer starts with Jack standing in various places, and remarking that 50 years have passed since the last episode. Jack himself, though...has not aged. I have heard that was because of his being tossed through time like a football in a football game.

It appears that here, Jack is in a bit of a funk. Which makes some sense. The man has been fighting Aku for half a century, and it seems that for all his efforts, Aku is still in control of the world. Not to mention that time and time again in the series, Jack has found a way to get back to his own time, but the way keeps getting taken from him. Imagine that going on for FIFTY YEARS. Jack is a strong and noble man, but even he can be worn down by all of it.

We see some scenes of despair, and then something interesting. A group of women, being given orders to kill Jack. They were given orders by another woman who wears a mask with the head shape of Aku. I'm guessing that Aku will naturally be the Big Bad, while these women will be his elite mooks.

Speaking of Jack, I have heard that since Mako, Aku's voice actor, passed away, they did find someone new to voice him. I wish the new actor luck. They got REALLY big shoes to fill.

We do see the women engage Jack, who got himself some cool samurai-style armor, and what looks like a new sword. I wonder what happened to his old one? He also tries to shoot them with a machine gun. That's new. Again, it's been 50 years, this ain't the Jack of old. Seeing him shoot that gun like that combined with his new facial hair makes me think he's started to channel Mr. John Rambo a bit.

These Aku-helmed women are tough! They move like the Flash on speed, and utterly WRECK Jack. We also see he takes a wound during his battles, and it's bleeding. We even see him leave a trail of blood against a wall. It gives the feeling this show has matured with its audience, but it's also a clear showing that the creators are taking advantage of this season being on adult swim.

I also have to say, I love the music in the background. I've gotten into Retro New Wave recently, and the music is great to listen to.

I do like that this trailer tells a little story itself, the women stalk Jack, attack, he hides out and regroups, and then gets ready to deliver some pain. The trailer then ends with footage of Jack kicking butt, and announcing that the season will arrive on March 11.

I LOVED this trailer! I actually watched it several times, that's how much I love it! This new season is going to be fun to watch! I hope this season does provide a proper ending to Jack's story, but I think the creators are going for that, so I can't wait to see how Jack finally ends Aku's reign of terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment