Monday, July 17, 2017

My Additions to the SNES Classic

Recently, I wrote a blog entry giving my thoughts on the upcoming SNES Classic. I liked what was coming, and I was eager for it. I also liked the roster of games they chose for it. However, I did feel that the roster of games could use a bit of...beefing up. As such, I went over the library and picked out a few games that I felt would have been great additions to the SNES Classic's library.

Gradius III


Gradius III was a launch title for the SNES in North America, and is considered one of the best side-scrolling shooters for the console. This game would make a wonderful inclusion as it would diversify the offerings of the SNES Classic a little bit more by representing side-scrolling shooters. The SNES did have its fair share of games in various shooter categories, and Gradius III was one of the best. The Vic Viper deserved to be flown by a new generation of gamers.

Wild Guns



Wild Guns is regarded as a cult classic. An arcade-style third-person shoot-em-up, the game's concept, style, and soundtrack have made it unique. Even though the original cartridge is hard to come by, the game was made available on the Virtual Console services for both Wii and Wii U. I imagine that availability has helped the game gain so much popularity, it got an enhanced remake for PS4: Wild Guns Reloaded. This is a fun game, and deserves to be played by many more people. It has a great soundtrack, brings a unique kind of game to the library, and is fun to play. Adding it to the SNES Classic's library is a well-deserved honor for this game.

Final Fight


Much like Gradius III, Final Fight is an arcade port. Also, it was an SNES launch title. Many have said the SNES version of the game is a rather inferior version compared to other ports, for understandable reasons. This was mainly due to the various changes made to this version during the localization process. The two-player co-op feature was removed as well due to the SNES's technical limitations. So, if there are better ports out there, why include this here? Well...simply because Final Fight is one of the great beat-em-up games, and that genre could use a shout-out in the SNES Classic's library.

Pilotwings



For the life of me, I don't get why this one was not included. It was a launch title. It's a flight sim, so it would provide more options for types of games, and it is a critically-acclaimed game. I've gotten to play this recently, and it's a lot of fun. Maybe it wasn't as big a seller as the others? I don't know. It's an odd choice not to include this game.

Run Saber


Run Saber is, admittedly, an obscure title. It's also a bit of a Strider clone, mixed with a bit of Metroid. I'll have to be honest about this one. I have never played this game. I have also never heard of this game until I saw this video on hidden gems in the SNES library. Watch that video. All the games on that list could be good additions to the SNES Classic library. But based on what I saw, it seemed like a fun game, and it would make for a nice surprise addition for people who have played it.

Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3



We got both of the Super Mario World games in the SNES Classic, so I say let's include the complete Donkey Kong Country trilogy with it as well. DK2 was the best-selling game of 1995, and it was the sixth-highest selling game of the entire SNES trilogy. The whole DKC trilogy is critically acclaimed, so I think it would be nice to have seen the whole trilogy in the SNES Classic. My familiarity with the trilogy comes from the GBA ports, which are rather enjoyable.

And those are my ideas of additional games for the SNES Classic library. I'd love to hear your ideas for additional games!

No comments:

Post a Comment