Sunday, July 9, 2017

SNES Classic, My Thoughts

Nintendo is at it again! First they released the NES Classic, and now...this!



That's right, folks! The SNES Classic! This one got me really excited. The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was one of the first consoles I ever owned. I played Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars all the time on it, and this made me smile.

It also is going to be packed with a batch of games:

- Contra III: The Alien Wars
- Donkey Kong Country
- Final Fantasy III (Actually Final Fantasy VI)
- F-Zero
- Kirby Super Star
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Mega Man X
- Secret of Mana
- Starfox
- Starfox 2 (First released here)
- Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
- Super Mario Kart
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Super Metroid

The West's SNES Classics will get some exclusive games, too:
- Earthbound
- Kirby's Dream Course
- Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Punch-Out!!

I have to admit, this is a nice roster of games, although I would have switched out Hyper Fighting for The New Challengers, which is what Japan's SNES Classics are getting. Was Hyper Fighting the best-selling version in the West? I'm not sure why we're getting this one.

Anyway, as I said, this roster of games is a good one. As with the NES Classic's game roster, it's pretty much all killer, no filler. Many of the games on this roster are considered classics and must-play games. And the fact that we're also going to get the unreleased Starfox 2 from this, is a fantastic bonus. From what I understand, the game was pretty much completed, just unreleased. The fact that Nintendo actually preserved the ROM all these years is just amazing to me.

A friend of mine has said that he has hoped that such a device will allow for updates in the future, and maybe possibly adding new games. I actually think that would be a great idea. There's a great roster of games, but there doesn't seem to be as much variety as the NES Classic's game library had.

Looking at just the Western version here, you got Street Fighter II T:HF representing fighting games, FFIII and Earthbound for JRPGs, Contra III for shoot-em-ups, F-Zero and Super Mario Kart for racing games, and quite a lot of platformers. Which to be fair, platformers and RPGs were the SNES's big thing. However, I would have liked to have seen some more games added. Hey, maybe that could make another blog entry. I'll have to think on this one.

I'm also hoping they fix some of the supply issues with this one.

Anyway, I WANT THIS THING. I REALLY WANT THIS THING. I would love to have a small SNES I can play anywhere. I can't wait for this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment