Saturday, June 6, 2020

Text Play: Pokemon Zeta #10

Welcome back to the Vesryn region! This is the 10th entry in my Text Play of Pokémon Zeta!


As always, I want to warn you, I will be spoiling the game here. As such, if you want to play it for yourself, I suggest you download the game here. No emulator needed! Now, let's go!

Last time, we prepared to take on Graham and his Ghost-type gym in Kivu Town. I've been grinding up my Murkrow, Poochyena (which is now a Mightyena), Absol, and Zorua. I also plan to keep Volton the Luxray on my team for this battle. Volton knows Bite, which is a Dark-type attack. I also am keeping my Butterfree on the team because she hits hard and is quick as a whip.



I honestly think Butterfree deserves a lot more love. In my experience, they're really handy to have in a Pokémon team. Mainly because they can learn a variety of attacks. In many of my Pokémon teams over the years, a Butterfree was always handy and practically indispensible. Heck, they're monsters in Sun and Moon.

Fighting the trainers at the Kivu Town gym was really helpful in getting my Pokémon ready. It also upped my confidence in them dealing with Graham. He may be a kid, but he's still a Gym Leader. He's bound to be a challenge. As such, I battled the trainers in the gym so my Pokémon could get some more experience. Make them a little stronger, so they have a better chance against anything Graham can throw at them. However, one of the trainers had some post-battle dialogue that...unnerved me.


This...I think this explains how Graham got to be Gym Leader of this town. Does he have some kind of godly powers like that kid from that Twilight Zone episode? Off to the cornfield with you...


Yeah, if Graham wants to creep people out, he's doing a good job of it. Anyway, his Pokémon are no joke. You're going to have to do plenty of grinding if you want to stand a chance against them. His Pokémon are between level 34-37. And mine are about level 30. Yeah. I'm hoping the type advantage from packing Dark-type Pokémon will help me out a little bit. I'll still try to grind them up to match him. I'm not taking any chances with him.

Upon meeting Graham at last, he puts on an act. And he claims he has a twin brother in the Elite Four. I'd point out they'd let anyone be an Elite Four member, but I think that's a bit redundant at this point.


Alright, alright! Anyway, after I did some more grinding, I got my team ready to take on Graham. Man, was I grateful his Gym had plenty of Trainers to help get some last-minute extra XP.

1st Pokémon: Haunter (Lv. 34) - Started with Butterfree. Hit it with a Sleep Powder/Psybeam combo, but Graham used a Full Restore. Hit it with Sleep Powder again, but Graham used a Full Heal. Butterfree defeated Haunter with a couple of Psybeams.
2nd Pokémon: Drifblim (Lv. 36) - Started with Luxray. Graham switched out for Shedninja (Lv. 36). I switched out Luxray for Absol. Absol defeated Shedninja with one Bite.
3rd Pokémon: Drifblim (Lv. 36) - Started with Luxray. Defeated by Luxray with one Spark blast. Took some damage from Hex, but survived.
4th Pokémon: Banette (Lv. 37) - Sent out Zoroark. Zoroark defeated Banette with two hits of Night Slash. Banette hit Zoroark with Hex, causing some extra damage.
5th Pokémon: Gengar (Lv. 37) - Sent out Butterfree. Gengar held some Black Sludge, which helped restore a little HP after it took damage. Butterfree's Psybeam helped bring the win, as well as Gengar suffering some confusion from it.

And with that, it's done. Graham is beaten. He remarks that I'm one of only two people to beat him since he got the Gym Leader gig. I was the second. The first, I can presume is Jake. Friggin' Jake and his swag... Aw, forget him! I got other things to worry about! After beating Graham, he awards me badge number 5: The Necro Badge! The badge grants me the ability to use Surf outside of battle...until I find an item that allows me to swim. I also got TM96 (Zombie Strike)! Zombie Strike is one of the only physical Ghost-type moves. It's useful if you give it to a Pokémon with a high Attack stat.

In a rather nice moment, Graham encourages me to keep on going. Get all the other Badges, and get to the Elite Four. As he said earlier, his brother Tobias is one of the Elite Four. Evidently, the two have a bit of a rivalry going, and Graham's never been able to beat him in a Pokémon battle. So, he's hoping I give him a whuppin'. If he does, come and visit. He'd love to face me again.

With the Gym out of the way now, I can go finally tackle my first Pokémon Ranger mission. I did promise that I would do that last time, after all. So, let's go give Team Olympus another thrashing!


I headed to the Ranger station after going to get some supplies. You see, these Ranger missions are gauntlets. You can't go heal at the Pokémon Center between battles with Team Olympus members. Just keep pushing forward. As such, it's good to make sure you have plenty of Revives and healing items. In the eighth entry in this Text Play, I pointed out that to tackle the first Ranger Club mission, your Pokémon should be between the ages of 29 and 35. Well, that's good, because my main team are in their early 30s, power-wise. However, I don't want to take any chances, so I think I'll do a bit more grinding to be sure I'm ready for this gauntlet.

And I think that's where we'll stop for now. I want to do more grinding to get ready to run the Ranger Club gauntlet. Sorry if this entry is a bit short, but real life and all. I will attempt to continue to bring these Text Plays regularly, so I hope you can bear with me on that.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourself, and each other. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, and wash your hands often. Also, wear your mask. See you next time!

Pokémon Obtained:
(Route 310)
- Zoroark (evolved from Zorua)

No comments:

Post a Comment