Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Batman: Soul of the Dragon Trailer, My Thoughts

 What do you think of when you think of the 1970s? Watergate? Charlie's Angels? Bruce Lee? What about...Batman? Yeah, the 70s were actually a pretty good time for the Dark Knight. It was in this decade that Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams's acclaimed work on the character came about, bringing him closer to his grim Golden Age roots. 

And it's in the 70s that we'll be joining the Caped Crusader in this latest animated film from DC. Voiced by David Giuntoli, Batman will be joining forces with Lady Shiva (Kelly Hu), Bronze Tiger (Michael Jai White, who portrayed the character in Arrow), and Richard Dragon (Mark Dacascos) to fight the evil Kobra (Josh Keaton) in Soul of the Dragon. Let's look at the trailer!


I expect that this film will get pretty bloody considering the rating and there's likely lots of martial arts here.

Hee hee, Bruce Wayne with sideburns.

Yeah, in the comics, Richard Dragon is a white redhead. I bet he was made Asian here to make him a pastiche of Bruce Lee. His voice actor here, Mark Dacascos, has a Spanish/Chinese/Filipino father and a Irish/Japanese mother. Yeah, the man is a living United Nations.

And of course, Bats has to make an entrance. If I had written that, he would have been screaming "I'M BATMAAAAAAAN!" the entire time.


Man, I always loved the yellow oval Bat-symbol. It's nice to see it here. It makes sense, too. In the 70s comics, Batman had the yellow oval on his Bat-emblem. I want that back, I miss it. 

Heh, reel-to-reel tape. Hey, why didn't Doctor Cyber use that to store the beauty formula in when she last fought Wonder Woman?! She would've had a backup!


Yeah, if Bruce Timm is involved, it's likely to be good. 

Okay, that bit with how Shiva beat that dude was pretty funny.

Bruce is thinking, "Yeah, I get the feeling Shiva is going to give me headaches..."


Yeah, using lesser-known villains! The Kobra Kult!

Look at Jeffrey Burr. Who does he think he is, David Bowie? You know, I'm surprised this film doesn't use Jeffrey's twin brother Jason. After all, the two have a Corsican Brothers-style connection. That could be useful to our heroes. 

BACKBREAKER! BAH GAWD, BRONZE TIGER! THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY!

...did Rich just use the One-Inch Punch?

Well, this looks like a fun adventure tale! I admit, there are times that I do wish DC would cool it a bit on Batman. I get that he's a big cash cow, but the DC Universe is a pretty rich place, and at least this movie is giving plenty of lesser-known characters some love. I haven't seen many of these DC animated movies, but I have heard they're pretty good. I'll give this one a shot.

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves, and each other. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home, wash your hands often, and wear a mask! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment