Sunday, November 29, 2020

Text Play: Pokemon Zeta #15

Hello, and welcome back to the Vesryn Region! And this is entry number 15 in my Text Play of Pokémon Zeta!


As usual, I do have to provide a spoiler warning.




I will be revealing things in this game, so if you want to play through it first, you can download the game at its wiki here. And with that, let's go!




I've been working on building a team to face off against Avery at the Gym here in Treader Town. I had decided on using Charmeleon and Pidgeotto as part of my Bug-beating team. However, there has been a complication. Grinding these Pokémon has not been easy. You see, there is really only one place right nearby you can grind them up besides the Gym around here: Route 314.

Unfortunately, Route 314 is...not the best place to grind up Fire and Flying-type Pokémon. The Route is mainly home to Phanpy and its evolved form Donphan, as well as Drilbur. Phanpy, Donphan, and Drilbur are Ground-type Pokémon. Bug-types (Avery's specialty) are weak against Fire, Flying, and Rock-types. Ground-types are strong against Fire and Rock. But on the other hand, I'm getting plenty of XP for my Kingdra and Victreebel, so that's an upside. Too bad I DON'T NEED THEM TO TAKE ON AVERY!



While grinding, I was able to put some more thought into what team I want to use to take on Avery. Magmortar is a must, thanks to it being a Fire-type. I have been grinding up my Pidgeotto and Charmeleon as well. Pidgeotto is a Flying-Type, and as for Charmeleon, well...it's pretty obvious why I'd include one of those in a team dedicated to fighting Bug-types.



Charizard is Fire AND Flying. Charizard can learn moves from both those types, so it's the perfect Bug-Fainter. Yeah, fainter. I know it sounds silly, but you don't kill Pokémon, you just KO them. They live to battle another day. Especially makes sense in organized battles like facing Gym leaders. And these games were made for kids, so...yeah. And also, Charizard is awesome. 

Anyway, as I said in what I believe was the last entry, Bug is also vulnerable to Rock. When I looked over the Pokemon I had obtained up to this point, I discovered that I had captured a Dwebble. Dwebbles are Bug/Rock, and mine knows Rock Blast. I may use him in my anti-Avery team. I've never used a Dwebble in a Pokémon game before, so that'll be fun to try out. Also, Dwebbles are kind of cute.


Look at that adorable little hermit crab-like Pokémon. I think this little critter will be very helpful on my anti-Avery team. Thing is, I caught him at a rather low level. Which means...yup. Lots of grinding.


There is a nice trade-off, though. Yes, there 's more work to be done with the grinding, but in the long run, I'll get a more powerful Dwebble out of the deal. So, that's a plus. I did consider backtracking a couple of Routes to try and ease the grinding, but that turned out to not be helpful as the wild Pokémon there are a bit too powerful to work with right now. Ugh. This is so frustrating. 

I really wish there was an area full of Bug Pokémon I could go to to grind up Pidgeotto, Charmeleon, and Dwebble around here. I can't help but wonder if Avery was intended originally to be a Rock or Ground-type-themed Gym Leader. It would explain why his Gym is in a mountainous area. You don't associate mountains with insects, after all. You'd likely expect 

While thinking about how to deal with Avery, I had discovered that Bug-types are also vulnerable to Poison. Which makes sense. I looked in my Boxes to see what Poison-types I owned. I wish it had a search feature. I own a Tentacool, but that was out. The Bug Pokemon in the Gym may know Grass-type attacks, and Tentacool is also a Water-type. I own both the male and female Nidoran. The male one knows Peck (a Flying-type attack) and Poison Sting, and it as the ability called Poison Point. 

Wait, "ability"? Well, allow me to explain.




Starting with Generation III (Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire), the Pokemon games introduced a mechanic called "Abilities". Basically, it's a special little passive effect a Pokemon can have besides its standard four attacks. Every Pokemon has an Ability. Some are helpful, some are a hindrance. For example, the male Nidoran I own in this game has an Ability called Poison Point. In this case, if the Nidoran is hit by an attack that requires physical contact to work, there's a chance that the attacking Pokemon will end up getting poisoned...wait...why don't I also use this Pokemon against Avery?!


To be fair, it's not like I'm going to fight Avery right away. And I also remembered that I had a Venonat. That's Bug/Poison. Yeah, I got plenty of options, but not a great place to grind them up. Lovely. This part of the game is going to make me go crazy...


Between this, and the fact that I have not had a ton of time to play this game, this entry will be a bit short this time around. I do apologize for that. I found myself putting up a Text Play entry every month, and I do want to keep that regular schedule going. So again, I apologize for this entry being so short. Hopefully, next month's will be more exciting. I might actually fight Avery in that one!



Well, I hope so, anyway. Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other. Stay safe, stay home, wash your hands often, and wear a mask! See you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment