Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Text Play: Pokémon Xenoverse #8

 Hello, and welcome back to the Eldiw Region! 


Now, as is tradition, I will warn you, I will be spoiling this game.


As such, I recommend that you play the game for yourself first before reading this. You can download it here. Don't worry, it is playable in English. I wouldn't be doing this Text Play if it wasn't. And with that out of the way, let's rock! 

Last time, we ended with me looking over my Pokémon collection to see which ones I can use against Princess Vanilla. Vanilla specializes in Fairy-type Pokemon, which makes her vulnerable to Steel and Poison. 

One Pokémon I considered using was Beedrill. It's fast, hits hard, and is part-Poison. Not to mention it knows Poison Sting. Another I considered was the Grass/Poison Oddish. It knows Acid, and it also has Absorb. Really good for weathering opposing Pokémon down. If it knew Leech Seed, that would make it devastating for Vanilla. I'm also considering Grimer, as it's a Poison-type, and it knows Poison Gas. Blingrimm was out, as it didn't know any Steel or Poison attacks. Ekans knows Poison Sting, and it's a Poison/Sound type (Remember, Sound is a new type for this game). 

I decided to bring in Beedrill and Grimer for my team. I wish I had an Alolan Grimer, though. That thing was a beast when I used it in Sun and Moon. I also am keeping Trishout because it's been real handy so far. I am also considering keeping Phantump on board as it knows Leech Seed and Absorb. Could help wear down Vanilla's Pokémon.


That's four out of six down. Now I just need to figure out the other two.


Maybe I can bring in my Zubat. It's Poison/Flying, and it knows Absorb. I'm not sure if it can learn any Poison-type attacks, though. I looked it up on Bulbapedia, and based on the attacks it already knows (Absorb, Astonish, Supersonic), it appears to have its Generation III (Ruby and Sapphire) moveset. And it can learn Poison Fang...at Level 41.


Ugh. And I have no TMs that have Poison-type attacks. So, I guess Zubat is out. A shame, as I think Zubat is a neat Pokémon. Ah, well. I'll just use Ekans instead. So, that's five out of six. But I also have to think about the trials. Remember, in the last entry, it was revealed that we have to pass through three trials. I think is the first is the Fire Trial, so I'll have to keep my Pelipper on board, just in case. Yeah, I may have to play a bit ahead to figure this out. But first, I'd better grind up my Pokémon a bit so they're a bit more ready to fight the princess and her menagerie.

Upon agreeing to enter the castle to start the trials, you end up here.


This Lurch-looking dude here explains the regulations...well, he tries to, but Princess Vanilla is more interested in knowing where her sweets are...the sweets she already ate.

And she throws a tantrum demanding more when she realizes this. Oh, this is gonna be fun...

Luckily, we manage to get back to business. The Trial of Fire is basically us having to fight some kind of "Beast", most likely some wild Pokémon the Princess somehow managed to tame. There are some rules:

1) The "Beast" can't be caught.
2) You can't flee it, ya gotta fight it.

And that's it. Let's do this.


The "Beast" is actually a level 30 Druddigon. I'm dead. Well, not really. My Pelipper was able to beat it with a bunch of Wing Attacks. And Princess Vanilla is already bored. How did this girl become a Gym Leader?!


We get a Golden Cup for winning the first trial. For the second, the Trial of Water, we're going to need a Fishing Rod. Unfortunately, we don't have one. Not to worry! In Stellato Town, there's a fisherman who teaches people how to fish. So, do you know what that means? That's right! We have to backtrack!

I'm honestly a bit mixed about the idea of having to backtrack here. On one hand, I do think from a realism perspective, it kind of works. Sometimes we have to go backwards to go forwards, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, I can see why some would find this annoying. It doesn't help that in my case, I can't seem to get the hoverboard activated by pressing F5. 


I do like that we do get a break between the three Trials...even though I thought we had to do them one right after the other. Was there a goof-up in the dialog writing?

While grinding in the Miltank fields, I found this little lady wandering around.


Clearly based on the manticore, this Pokemon is Fairy/Poison and is armed with Poison Sting. It has left me wondering if I should bring her in against Vanilla.


I mean, it would be a nice surprise. But if I bring her in, who do I remove from my team? Maybe my Pelipper? I mean, I can use Phantump to help weaken her Pokemon as it knows Leech Seed, Absorb, and Horn Leech. And Trishout has shown itself to be a beast time and time again. Combined with Grimer, Beedrill, and Ekans, I think I have a good team to take on Vanilla. I just wish I had a Steel-type or two to help, but I haven't really encountered any so far. Well...any with useful Steel-type attacks. But I'm not too worried about that now. I gotta head back to Stellato Town and get myself a fishing rod.


Backtracking isn't such a bad thing here. I can grind up my team on the way. I wish the F5 command worked on this game, because riding a hoverboard there would be so much faster. It's not a long trek, but...yeah. The F5 command not working is a bit annoying. I don't think it's my computer. Anyway, one of the first things you can do is visit this house that is two houses away from the Star Sider kiosk.


It's one of the people we saved from the X Garvantula. In gratitude, he gives out TM17 (Protect). Another TM for the collection. But now, down to business. I have to find a way to get a fishing rod. Remember that fisherman we met back in entry #6? Well, we have to play his fishing mini-game to get a fishing rod. 

Remember, he also charges 500 Pokedollars per try. That means the amount of tries you have is limited based on how much money you have. That is admittedly a bit annoying as the mini-game is not easy. You have to dodge not just seaweed and detritus, but wild Pokemon are attracted to the hook, and they will go towards it. You can catch a couple wild Pokemon this way, but that means you'll have to try again to get the Golden Magikarp statue. So you have to spend more money.


I would recommend going to where the fisherman was, save your game, then shut down the game and start again until you get the statue. That's the only way to keep trying without spending tons of money. I know, it's annoying. I am sorry. Don't blame me, I did not make this thing. I'm just talking about it.

I had to do it a couple of times, myself. Eventually, after a couple tries, I did it. Unfortunately, the fisherman decides to that the statue is his because we used his rod to get it. Hey! I caught the thing, you jagoff!



We may not have gotten the statue, but we got 2500 Pokedollars and his fishing rod. We kind of really needed that rod, anyway. So with that all done, we've got to go back to Milkiway City and perform the second trial.

And I think that's where we'll stop for now. Join me next time when we tackle the second trial! Wish me luck! 

Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay homes, wash your hands often, wear a mask, and get your vaccine/booster! See you next time!

Pokemon Obtained:
(String Forest)
- Cottonee
(Route 6)
- Buneary
- Pikachu
(Milkiway City)
- Manticoeur
(Stellato Town)
- Kidoon

No comments:

Post a Comment