Saturday, July 20, 2024

International Moon Day

Today is a special day! It's International Moon Day!

What is this day about, you may ask? Well, this day celebrates Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin's becoming the first humans to step on the Moon on July 20, 1969 on NASA's Apollo 11 mission. In fact, 2024 marks the 55th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. Happy 55th, Moon Landing!


In 2021, the United Nations declared this day "International Moon Day", not just to celebrate the Moon Landing, but also to promote peaceful uses for space exploration.

This day is a bit of a special one for me. You see, growing up, I was a bit of a nut for space. I loved space. I'm a Star Trek fan. I loved the Space Shuttle. I wanted to be an astronaut. I had the brains for it, but not the physicality for it. But yeah, I admired Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong because they got to walk on the Moon. They got to do something very few people got to do. They got help advance humanity. That's pretty incredible stuff.

So, take a look up at the sky and enjoy the Moon. Thanks for reading this blog entry! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment