In 1993, DC Comics decided to shake up the Batman mythos. And it all started with a character as part of a pitch by Peter Milligan around a couple years earlier: Azrael. The pitch would go on to inspire Denny O'Neil (at the time the editor of the Batman-centered books) to convene a summit of the authors of the books to flesh out the details of the story. It was similar to the "Superman Summits" the creators of the Superman-centered books would do yearly to flesh out storylines for the books.
Thing was, at around the same time, the creative teams of the Superman-related books were also working on another storyline that would supposedly have big ramifications for the Man of Steel: The Death of Superman. O'Neil has denied that this storyline inspired KnightFall. In fact, he went so far to claim that the two groups were unaware of what the other was doing, and if the Batman group was aware of this, they'd have pushed KnightFall back a year.
One of the purposes of KnightFall was also to push back at more violent anti-heroic characters like the members of Youngblood by showing a version of Batman that was more violent, more brutal, more ruthless...and why that is a horrible thing. The crossover would impact Batman stories arguably for years afterward.
KnightFall would go down as one of the greatest Batman stories, and it would be collected into trades, and even be adapted into a radio play. And now, it's going to be adapted into a trilogy of animated films, with Anson Mount voicing the Dark Knight (who also voiced Batman in Injustice), and Michael Mando as Bane. Let's look at the trailer!
I don't like that Batmobile design. It's ugly. 😒
"Hmm, I need to put some padding under this shirt. Those claws hurt like heck."
Good LORD, Bane is huge! Was that man born in a steroid factory?! Does he have traces of blood in his steroid system?!
He also knows about Bruce's Barbie Doll collection.
Tim ain't wrong, Bruce. You're starting to see flying bears in penguin suits singing the Macarena. And that's without the drinking. But then again, I can imagine a drunk Batman would be hilarious.
Batman is like "SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!" No, Bruce! Sleep is good for the mind and the body! Go to bed!
You'd think Bruce would call in other heroes to help out here. To be fair, they likely have their own problems.
Some men will do anything to avoid getting therapy. Including put on red and gold costumes with flaming swords.
Well, yeah. Man needs sleep! Your brain don't work right when you have no sleep!
Just sit this out, Eddie. You'll be better for it. Trust me.
Okay, that stuff is liquid gamma radiation.
I admit, it looks like an interesting watch. I've read the KnightFall series a long time ago and remember enjoying it. I'm not really feeling the character designs that much, though. I'll admit that. I'm not saying that they should try to imitate the style of the comics (KnightFall's comics had numerous artists on them), but I get what they're going for with this. Animation in the style of The Brave and the Bold would not work here. Still, I am quite curious as to how they're going to tackle this adaptation. I hope it will be done well.
Thanks for reading this blog entry! If you liked it, show it off! Take care of yourselves and each other! If you like what I write and want to give this blog some additional support, please make a donation to my Ko-fi! See you next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment